Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Day in History

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed July 18th, 2012, 11:25 pm

July 19 in royal history:

July 19, 1415 – Death of Philippa of Lancaster, daughter of John of Gaunt, wife of João I of Portugal, at Sacavem, Portugal; buried at Batalha Monastery, Leiria
Philippa died of the plague.

July 19, 1810 – Death of Luise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, wife of Frederick William III of Prussia, at Schloss Hohenzieritz in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany; buried in the garden at Charlottenburg Palace, Berlin

July 19, 1821 - Coronation of George IV
George’s estranged wife Caroline of Brunswick was not crowned with him. She came to Westminster Abbey, but was not admitted. She died a few weeks later.

July 19, 1822 – Birth of Princess Augusta of Cambridge, wife of Friedrich Wilhelm, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, at the Palace of Montbrillant, Hanover (Germany)
Augusta was a granddaughter of George III, first cousin of Queen Victoria, and aunt of Queen Mary.

July 19, 1884 – Birth of Prince Charles Edward, Duke of Albany, grandson of Queen Victoria, at Claremont House, Esher, Surrey
Full name: Charles Edward George Albert Leopold
Prince Charles Edward was the son of Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany and Princess Helen of Waldeck-Pyrmont. Charles Edward was born after his father’s death and was Duke of Albany at birth. At age 14, he became Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha upon the death of his uncle Prince Alfred. Charles Edward married Princess Victoria Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. Their daughter Princess Sibylla was the mother of the current King of Sweden, Carl XVI Gustaf.

July 19, 1940 – Birth of Tsugari Hanako, wife of Prince Hitachi of Japan

July 19, 2008 – Wedding of Lady Rose Windsor, daughter of HRH The Duke of Gloucester, and George Gilman, at the Queen’s Chapel in St. James’s, Palace, London
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu July 19th, 2012, 4:38 pm

19 July - on this day in 1877, the first Wimbledon Final was played between Spencer Gore and William Marshall. Gore beat Marshall after 48 minutes of play in wet weather, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 before 200 spectators.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri July 20th, 2012, 12:18 am

July 20 in royal history:

July 20, 1346 – Birth of Margaret of Windsor, daughter of Edward III, at Windsor Castle

July 20, 1524 - Death of Claude of France, first wife of Francis I of France, eldest daughter of Louis XII of France, at the Chateau de Blois, Blois, France; buried at St. Denis Basilica

July 20, 1572 – Wedding of Frederik II of Denmark and Sophia of Mecklenburg-Guströw

July 20, 1890 – Birth of George II, King of the Hellenes at Tatoi Palace, Greece

July 20, 1927 – Death of Ferdinand I of Romania at Pelisor Castle, Sinaia, Romania; buried at the Cathedral of Curtea de Arges

July 20, 1951 – Death of Johanna Loisinger, Countess of Hartenau, wife of Prince Alexander of Bulgaria, in Vienna; buried at St. Leonhard Cemetery at Graz, Austria

July 20, 1951 - Assassination of Abdullah I of Jordan at Al Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem; buried at Royal Cemetery, Amman, Jordan
King Abdullah I was killed at Al Asa Mosque in Jerusalem by a Palestinian nationalist angered by Jordan's annexation of the West Bank. His assassination was witnessed by his 15 year old grandson, the future King Hussein. The bullet meant for the young Hussein deflected off a medal he was wearing, thereby saving his life.

July 20, 1951 – Death of Crown Prince Wilhelm of Germany in Hechingen, Germany; buried at Hohenzollern Castle

July 20, 1973 - Birth of Crown Prince Haakon Magnus of Norway at Rikshospitalet, Oslo

July 20, 1999 - Birth of Princess Alexandra of Hanover, daughter of Prince Ernst of Hanover and Princess Caroline of Monaco, in Vöcklabruck, Austria
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri July 20th, 2012, 12:19 am

July 21 in royal history:

July 21, 987 – Death of Geoffrey I (Greymantle), Count of Anjou in Marçonm (France)

July 21, 1824 - Death of Buddha Loetla Nabhalai, Rama II of Thailand in Bangkok

July 21, 1831 – Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, uncle of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, ascends to the throne of Belgium

July 21, 1858 – Birth of Maria Christina of Austria, second wife of Alfonso XII of Spain, at Židlochovice Castle in Brno (Czech Republic)
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun July 22nd, 2012, 11:59 pm

July 22 in royal history:

July 22, 1210 - Birth of Joan of England, daughter of King John, at Gloucester, England

July 22, 1298 - Edward I combines bowmen and cavalry to defeat William Wallace's Scots at the Battle of Falkirk

July 22, 1461 – Death of Charles VII of France at Mehun-sur-Yèvre, France; buried at Saint Denis Basilica

July 22, 1478 - Birth of Philip the Handsome, Duke of Burgundy, husband of Queen Juana of Castile, in Bruges (Belgium)

July 22, 1535 – Birth of Katarina Stenbock, third wife of Gustav I of Sweden, in Torpa, Västergötland, Sweden

July 22, 1816 - Wedding of Princess Mary, daughter of George III, and Prince William, Duke of Gloucester, her first cousin, at the Private Chapel, Buckingham Palace
At age 40, Mary married her first cousin William, son of her father’s brother. Mary was the last of George III’s children to die (in 1857) and was a favorite aunt of Queen Victoria.

July 22, 1832 – Death of Napoléon II, Emperor of the French, at Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna; originally buried in the Kapuzinergruft in Vienna; his remains were transferred to Les Invalides in Paris, but his heart remains at the Herzgruft in the Augustinerkirche in Vienna, and his viscera remains at the Ducal Crypt in Stephansdom in Vienna

July 22, 1848 – Birth of Adolf Friedrich V, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, in Neustrelitz (Germany)

July 22, 1896 - Wedding of Princess Maud, daughter of Edward VII, and Prince Carl of Denmark, later King Haakon VII of Norway, at the Private Chapel, Buckingham Palace

July 22, 2002 - Birth of Prince Felix of Denmark, son of Prince Joachim, at Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon July 23rd, 2012, 12:01 am

July 23, 1885 - Wedding of Princess Beatrice, daughter of Queen Victoria, to Prince Henry of Battenberg, at St. Mildred's Church, Whippingham, Isle of Wight

July 23, 1892 - Birth of Haile Selassie, Emperor of Ethiopia, at Ejersa Goro, Ethiopia

July 23, 1952 - King Farouk of Egypt deposed by military coup led by Gamal Abdel Nasser
Farouk is famous for saying, "In a few years there will be only five kings in the world -- the King of England and the four kings in a pack of cards."

July 23, 1961 - Death of Mrs. Higashikuni Morihiro, formerly Princess Teru, at the Imperial Household Agency Hospital
Princess Teru was the eldest sister of Emperor Akihito.

July 23, 1986 - Wedding of Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Sarah Ferguson, at Westminster Abbey

July 23, 1993 - Wedding of Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein and Duchess Sophie of Bavaria at Cathedral of St.Florin in Vaduz, Liechtenstein

July 23, 1999 - Death of King Hassan II of Morocco in Rabat, Morocco; buried at the King Hassan II Mosque, Casablanca, Morocco

July 23, 2007 - Death of Mohammed Zahir Shah, last king of Afghanistan, at the presidential palace compound in Kabul; buried at Maranjan Hill at the presidential palace compound in Kabul
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue July 24th, 2012, 12:19 am

July 24 in royal history:

July 24, 1567 - Mary, Queen of Scots forced to abdicate her throne to her 1-year-old son James VI

July 24, 1689 – Birth of William, Duke of Gloucester, son of Queen Anne, at Hampton Court Palace, Richmond, England
William was the only one of Queen Anne’s numerous children to survive a significant amount of time. A sickly child, who suffered from hydrocephalus, he died at age 11 of smallpox. The main street in Williamsburg, the colonial capital of Virginia, was named after him. If you visit Colonial Williamsburg, you can walk on Duke of Gloucester Street which runs from the House of Burgesses to the main entrance of The College of William and Mary. It’s called DOG Street by the locals and college students. (My son is a William and Mary alumni so I’ve spent lots of time on DOG Street.)

July 24, 1817 – Birth of Grand Duke Adolphe of Luxembourg at Biebrich Palace in Wiesbaden (Germany)
Adolphe became Grand Duke upon the succession of Queen Wilhelmina to the Dutch throne. The three previous kings of the Netherlands had also been Grand Dukes of Luxembourg. However, because of the Salic Law, Wilhelmina could not succeed to the throne of Luxembourg.

July 24, 1860 – Birth of Princess Charlotte of Prussia, granddaughter of Queen Victoria, at Neues Palais, Potsdam, Germany
Full name: Viktoria Elisabeth Auguste Charlotte
Princess Charlotte was the daughter of Victoria, Princess Royal and Frederick III, German Emperor. She married her second cousin Duke Bernhard II of Saxe-Meiningen.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue July 24th, 2012, 11:13 pm

July 25 in royal history:

July 25, 306 - Constantine I proclaimed Roman Emperor by his troops

July 25, 1554 - Wedding of Mary I and Philip II of Spain at Winchester Cathedral

July 25, 1603 - Coronation of James I
James’ wife Anne of Denmark was crowned with him.

July 25, 1797 - Birth of Augusta of Hesse-Kassel, wife of Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge, at Rumpenheim Castle, Kassel (Germany)
Augusta is the grandmother of Queen Mary, wife of George V

July 25, 1860 - Birth of Louise Margaret of Prussia, wife of Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, at Marmorpalais, Potsdam, Germany

July 25, 1876 – Birth of Elisabeth of Bavaria, wife of Albert I of the Belgians, at Possenhofen Castle, Kingdom of Bavaria (Germany)

July 25, 1938 – Death of Prince Franz I of Liechtenstein at Valtice, now in the Czech Republic; buried at the Liechtenstein Crypt in Vranov nearby Brno, Czech Republic

July 25, 1970 - Birth of Lord Nicholas Windsor, son of HRH The Duke of Kent, at University College Hospital, London
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu July 26th, 2012, 1:19 am

July 26 in royal history:

July 26, 1469 – Lancastrian victory at the Battle of Edgecote Moor

July 26, 1533 - Murder of Atahualpa, the last Incan King, on orders of Spanish conqueror Francisco Pizarro

July 26, 1867 – Death of former King Otto of Greece, born Prince Otto of Bavaria, at palace of the former bishops in Bamberg, Germany; buried at Theatinerkirche St. Kajetan in Munich

July 26, 1944 - Death of Reza Shah Pahlavi, former Shah of Iran and father of the last Shah, in exile in Johannesburg, South Africa; buried at Reza Shah's mausoleum in Ray, Tehran, Iran which was later destroyed during the 1979 Iranian Revolution

July 26, 1958 - Debutantes presented at the British royal court for the last time
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu July 26th, 2012, 11:14 pm

July 27 in royal history:

July 27, 1365 - Wedding of Isabella, daughter of Edward III, and Enguerrand VII de Courcy, Earl of Bedford, at Windsor Castle

July 27, 1626 – Death of Louis V, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt

July 27, 1889 – Wedding of Princess Louise, daughter of Edward VII, and Alexander Fife, 6th Earl Fife, at the Private Chapel in Buckingham Palace

July 27, 1980 - Death of Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, last Shah of Iran, in Cairo, Egypt, buried at the Al Rifa'i Mosque in Cairo
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “General Discussion”