Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Book Show

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

The Book Show

Post by rebecca » Thu June 28th, 2012, 1:42 am

I just wanted to ask as I loved the Book Show with Mariella Frostrup when it was shown here on satellite TV, but unfortunately the network seemed to buy only two seasons and simply kept on repeating them! :rolleyes:

Is there a bookshop in England which sells the DVD's of her show? I do own a multi-regional DVD player which works with DVD's from the U.K.

Thanks

Bec :) PS: We also have a book discussion show here. This is a link to it.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/firsttuesday/jbp/

Enjoy :D

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu June 28th, 2012, 8:57 am

As far as I know, I don't think it's released on DVD, magazine programmes don't usually have much of a shelf life.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu June 28th, 2012, 9:39 am

I enjoy The Book Show, but, no, there isn't a DVD. It's shown on Sky Arts 1 in the UK, so if you don't subscribe to Sky, you won't be able to watch it.

I've been watching a few of the Hay Sessions recently where authors chat about their books - one was an interview with Hilary Mantel and another with Julian Clary. I've still got one with Ian Rankin recorded to watch. Julian Clary is a laugh a minute!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu June 28th, 2012, 11:27 am

I enjoy it too but I agree that this sort of programme would never make it to DVD.

The Hay Sessions can be good too. Hilary is always good value and an excellent speaker.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Thu June 28th, 2012, 3:36 pm

I'm not sure it's the right one, but I think there are episodes on youtube.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu June 28th, 2012, 5:17 pm

I had to laugh when I saw "Mariella Frostrup" because I remember her when she was guesting on "Coupling", it was very funny.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri June 29th, 2012, 3:44 am

Thanks everyone :)

I have seen snippets on youtube, but I love certain segments on her show-my favourite being 'the write place.' I also love watching and seeing what motivates and inspires writers on their choice of subject.

Yes, I have seen Julian Clary and he is funny :p ...What a bore though that the program was cancelled here :( !

Bec

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”