Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Day in History

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue June 12th, 2012, 12:50 pm

According to legend, on this date in 1839, the first baseball game was played in Cooperstown, NY, which is now the home of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue June 12th, 2012, 11:06 pm

June 13 in royal history:

June 13, 823 – Birth of Charles II of France (the Bald) in Frankfurt (Germany)

June 13, 839 – Birth of Charles III (the Fat) of France

June 13, 1625 - Wedding of Charles I and Henrietta Maria of France, daughter of Henry IV of France, at St. Augustine's Church, Canterbury, England

June 13, 1688 – Wedding of Antonio I of Monaco and Maria of Lorraine at the Royal Chapel of Versailles

June 13, 1877 – Death of Louis III, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine in Seeheim, Hesse (Germany)

June 13, 1886 - Ludwig II of Bavaria is found drowned at Lake Starnberg, south of Munich, Germany; buried at St. Michael’s Church in Munich, Germany

June 13, 1882 – Birth of Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna, daughter of Tsar Alexander III, at Peterhof

June 13, 1918 - Execution of Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich, son of Tsar Alexander III, brother of Tsar Nicholas II, in Perm, Russia

June 13, 1965 - Birth of Infanta Cristina of Spain, daughter of King Juan Carlos, in Madrid

June 13, 1982 – Death of King Khalid of Saudi Arabia in Ta’if, Saudi Arabia
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed June 13th, 2012, 10:05 pm

June 14 in royal history:

June 14, 1753 – Birth of Louis I, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine in Prenzlau, Brandenburg (Germany)

June 14, 1870 - Birth of Sophie of Prussia, wife of Constantine I of Greece, in the Neues Palais in Potsdam, Prussia (Germany)

June 14, 1894 – Birth of Grand Duchess Marie-Adélaïde of Luxembourg in Berg Castle in Colmar-Berg
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu June 14th, 2012, 10:58 pm

June 15 in royal history:

Closest Saturday to June 15 - Official birthday of Queen Elizabeth II
The Trooping the Color is held on the Queen's official birthday which was June 16 this year.

June 15, 923 – Death of Robert I of France

June 15, 1215 - Signing of the Magna Carta by King John
Actually the Great Seal was attached to the document on this date.

June 15, 1330 - Birth of Edward, the Black Prince, son of Edward III, father of Richard II, at Woodstock Palace, Oxfordshire

June 15, 1519 - Birth of Henry Fitzroy, Henry VIII's illegitimate son at the Priory of St Lawrence at Blackmore, Essex

June 15, 1777 – Wedding of Prince Honoré IV of Monaco and Louise d'Aumont Mazarin in Paris

June 15, 1888 - Death of Frederick III, German Emperor and King of Prussia, husband of Victoria, Princess Royal, at the Neues Palais in Potsdam; buried at Friedenskirche, Potsdam
Ill with throat cancer when he succeeded his father, Frederick reigned for only 99 days before he died and was succeeded by his son Wilhelm II.

June 15, 1905 – Wedding of Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden (1st marriage) and Margaret of Connaught (granddaughter of Queen Victoria) at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor

June 15, 1978 - Wedding of King Hussein I of Jordan and Lisa Halaby (Queen Noor)
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat June 16th, 2012, 12:20 am

June 16 in royal history:

June 16, 1269 - Wedding of Richard, Earl of Cornwall, son of King John, and Beatrix of Falkenberg at Kaiserslautern, Germany
This was Richard's third marriage. The groom was 60 and the bride was 16. The marriage lasted until Richard's death three years later.

June 16, 1332 - Birth of Isabella of England, daughter of Edward III, at Woodstock Palace, Oxfordshire

June 16, 1459 – Death of Erik VII of Denmark (of Pomerania) at Rügenwalde Castle; buried at Rügenwalde Castle

June 16, 1487 - Decisive Lancastrian victory at the Battle of Stoke

June 16, 1644 – Birth of Princess Henrietta-Anne, daughter of Charles I, at Bedford House, Exeter

June 16, 1712 – Death of Prince Hans-Adam I of Liechtenstein

June 16, 1742 – Death of Louise-Élisabeth of Orléans, wife of Louis I of Spain; buried at the Church of Saint-Sulpice in Paris

June 16, 1848 – Death of Louis II, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine in Darmstadt (Germany)

June 16, 1858 - Birth of Gustav V of Sweden at Drottningholm Palace

June 16, 1937 - Birth of Tsar Simeon II of Bulgaria in Sofia, Bulgaria
Simeon was the prime minister of Bulgaria from 2001-2005. He uses the name Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

June 16, 2000 - Death of Empress Nagako of Japan, wife of Emperor Hirohito, in Tokyo; buried at the Musashino Imperial Mausoleum at Hachioji, Tokyo
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat June 16th, 2012, 10:58 pm

June 17 in royal history:

June 17, 1239 - Birth of Edward I at Palace of Westminster

June 17, 1631 - Death of Mumtaz Mahal in childbirth, wife of Shah Jahan, Mughal emperor
Mumtaz Mahal’s tomb is the famous Taj Mahal.

June 17, 1682 – Birth of Carl XII of Sweden at Tre Kronor Castle which was on the site of the present palace in Stockholm

June 17, 1696 – Death of John III Sobieski, King of Poland in Wilanów, Poland; buried at Wawel Cathedral, Kraków, Poland

June 17, 1818 - Birth of Sophia of Württemberg, first wife of William III of the Netherlands, at Ludwigsburg Palace, Stuttgart (Germany)

June 17, 1882 – Birth of Adolf Friedrich VI, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, in Neustrelitz (Germany)
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun June 17th, 2012, 11:24 pm

June 18 in royal history:

June 18, 1269 - Birth of Eleanor of England, daughter of Edward I, at Windsor Castle

June 18, 1318 - Birth of Eleanor of Woodstock, daughter of Edward II, at Woodstock Palace, Oxfordshire

June 18, 1536 - Death of Henry Fitzroy, Henry VIII's illegitimate son at St. James’ Palace, buried at St. Michael the Archangel Church, Framlingham, Suffolk

June 18, 1662 - Birth of Charles FitzRoy, 2nd Duke of Cleveland, illegitimate son of Charles II by Barbara Palmer, 1st Duchess of Cleveland

June 18, 1815 - Napoleon is defeated at the Battle of Waterloo

June 18, 1866 - Death of Prince Sigismund of Prussia at the Neues Palais in Potsdam, Germany; buried at Friedenskirche, Potsdam, Germany
Prince Sigismund was the son of Victoria, Princess Royal and Kaiser Frederick III of Germany, and a grandson of Queen Victoria. He died at age two from meningitis.

June 18, 1901 - Birth of Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia, daughter of Tsar Nicholas II, at Peterhof

June 18, 1926 – Death of Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovna of Russia, wife of George I of Greece, at Pau, Béarn, France; first buried in Italy, reburied at Tatoi Royal Cemetery, Greece

June 18, 1975 – Beheading of Prince Faisal bin Musad of Saudi Arabia for the assassination of his uncle King Faisal in Riyadh

June 18, 2006 – Birth of Countess Zaria van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg, daughter of Prince Friso of the Netherlands
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue June 19th, 2012, 1:16 am

June 19 in royal history:

June 19, 1294 – Birth of Charles IV of France in Clermont, Oise, France

June 19, 1282 - Death in childbirth of Eleanor de Montfort, wife of Prince Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, granddaughter of King John, at Abergwyngregyn; buried at the Franciscan Friary of Llanfaes, Anglesey

June 19, 1500 - Death of Edmund Tudor, Duke of Somerset, son of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York; buried at Westminster Abbey
Little Edmund was 1 1/2 when he died.

June 19, 1566 - Birth of James VI of Scotland (later James I of England), son of Mary, Queen of Scots, at Edinburgh Castle

June 19, 1787 – Death of Princess Sophie Hélène Béatrice of France, daughter of Louis XVI of France and Marie Antoinette, at the Palace of Versailles; buried at the Basilica of St. Denis

June 19, 1850 - Wedding of Carl XV of Sweden (Carl IV of Norway) and Louise of the Netherlands in Stockholm

June 19, 1867 - Execution of Emperor Maximilian of Mexico by firing squad at Cerro de las Campanas, Querétaro, Mexico; buried at the Imperial Crypt, Vienna

June 19, 1896 - Birth of Bessiewallis Warfield (Duchess of Windsor) at Square Cottage at Monterey Inn, a resort hotel in Blue Ridge Summit, Pennsylvania

June 19, 1902 – Death of Albert, King of Saxony in Sibyllenort (now Szczodre, Poland); buried at Katholische Hofkirche in Dresden, Germany

June 19, 1976 - Wedding of Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and Silvia Sommerlath at the Storkyrkan in Stockholm

June 19, 1999 - Wedding of Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys Jones at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor

June 19, 2010 - Wedding of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Daniel Westling at the Storkyrkan in Stockholm
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue June 19th, 2012, 11:32 pm

July 20 in royal history:

June 20, 840 - Death of Louis I of France (the Pious) in Ingelheim am Rhein, Germany; buried at the Church of Saint-Pierre-aux-Nonnains

June 20, 1235 – Wedding of Isabella (daughter of King John) and Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor, at Wurms Cathedral, Germany

June 20, 1389 - Birth of John, Duke of Bedford, son of Henry IV

June 20, 1605 – Death of Feodor II of Russia at the Kremlin in Moscow; buried at the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius

June 20, 1667 - Death of James, Duke of Cambridge, son of James II, at Richmond Palace; buried at Westminster Abbey
James, the second son of James, Duke of York (later James II) and his first wife Anne Hyde was born on July 11, 1663. Little James fell ill in April of 1667 and died on June 20 1667.

June 20, 1818 – Death of Hedwig Elizabeth Charlotte of Holstein-Gottorp, wife of Charles XIII of Sweden; buried at Riddarholm Church in Stockholm

June 20, 1837 - Death of William IV at Windsor Castle; buried at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle

June 20, 1946 - Birth of Birgitte Eva van Deurs, wife of Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, at Odense, Isle of Funen, Denmark
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

DanielAWillis
Reader

Post by DanielAWillis » Wed June 20th, 2012, 5:24 pm

[quote=""Susan""]July 20 in royal history:
June 20, 1837 - Death of William IV at Windsor Castle; buried at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle
[/quote]

Making today the 175th anniversary of the ascension of Queen Victoria! :D
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

Return to “General Discussion”