Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat June 9th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Sorry to hear about that Diane. Having a dog of 14 ourselves who is a bit of a creaking gate, I understand how heartbreaking it is. :(
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat June 9th, 2012, 10:43 pm

Brenna and Elizabeth, thank you. She's moving a bit better, but not her normal self, so it's got her distressed and she's not *eating* which is now the bigger concern. She's being good about taking her pills (a painkiller and a glucosamine/condroitin supplement - the latter, I have heard a lot of good things about, and has done her good once before) but they may be getting to her tum or she may just be in a little protest. I'll buy some meat for her tomorrow if she doesn't eat at all today. So far no temptation has been working.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon June 11th, 2012, 2:23 am

Oh Diane, I'm so sorry to hear about her ongoing problems! If it helps at all, my husband takes glucosamine/chondroitin and it works well for him.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon June 11th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Our old lab took gluco/chondroitin supps for quite a while and they seemed to help her. It is worrying when they don't eat though - fingers crossed it's only temporary, it's so sad when they start to get like this.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue June 12th, 2012, 12:04 am

She's definitely moving better, and I think the appetite may be perking up, but it's doing so slowly. Siddy is a docile girl, so I can give her her meds without maximal trouble - I just feel bad stuffing a thumb down her throat to get her to do it. Bless her bones, she does seem to be on the upswing. Her more usual crying-for-attention is returning, as opposed to her crying in confused distress. And her ears are WAY up, a very definite (and handsome!) good sign.

Elizabeth, LH, and Madeleine, thank you so much for your good wishes. I'm sure those are as good for her as the supplements!

She's looking at me all grateful and big-eyed. Surely, that must be for you guys. *Loving scritches on her big old headbone*

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue June 12th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Diane-

That is wonderful news! I just shared it with Padfoot and he wagged his tail in glee!! We will continue to send good thoughts your way!!
Brenna

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue June 12th, 2012, 10:58 pm

Oh my, there is NOTHING better than making a dog wag her or his tail, and a Padfoot wag is particularly special! Yay! Siddy is looking curious and interested, and heaving her hot breath on my knee, PLUS her ears are way up. Clearly she likes her new virtual friend Padfoot. :D

Appetite is not completely normal, but definitely improved. Her incontinence issues have ramped up in the past couple of days, but we have strategies in place to manage that too.

The family issues I mentioned are reaching that point where the kids will get the news very soon. A lot of prayers are with them all.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun June 17th, 2012, 9:03 am

Cleaning up the house so we can sell it and hopefully move to a prettier town. And...*gulp* I had to cull some of my books :( *weeps inconsolably* :(

But my Chadwicks, Penmans, Weirs, Gregory, Margaret George and so many others are packed away safe and sound :D and I still have 4 book cases filled to the brim :D and my 80 odd TBR list :D ...I am incorrigable. ;) :p

Bec :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun June 17th, 2012, 9:50 am

Did you donate them to charity or a library, Rebecca? If so, they will more than likely go to good homes.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon June 18th, 2012, 3:11 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]Cleaning up the house so we can sell it and hopefully move to a prettier town. And...*gulp* I had to cull some of my books :( *weeps inconsolably* :(

But my Chadwicks, Penmans, Weirs, Gregory, Margaret George and so many others are packed away safe and sound :D and I still have 4 book cases filled to the brim :D and my 80 odd TBR list :D ...I am incorrigable. ;) :p

Bec :) [/quote]

We have moved 4 times in 5 years and the one thing I refuse to do is get rid of my books. Now, that being said, I occassionally get into this "declutter" snit where if I haven't looked at it or read it since the last move, I most likely never will. Off to the paperback exchange they go. And of course I curse and complain when lifting all of the "book" boxes in and out of the vehicle. Oh well!
Brenna

Return to “Chat”