Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading June 2012?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri June 8th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Queen of the Conquerer by Tracy Borman (NF)
Biography of Queen Matilda.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri June 8th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Spinrad talks about writing Druid King in this interview:
http://www.dragonpage.com/2007/02/19...orman-spinrad/
Interesting interview - thanks for the link, Annis. I don't think we have a thread for novels involving druids, so I'm going to start one!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri June 8th, 2012, 8:43 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I think the notion that Anne had a stepmother has been disproved by recent historians. It was still current when Lofts and Jean Plaidy were writing, though.[/quote]

I just read that in another book too. Was it Margaret George's Henry VIII book? I think so. I would be interested to know for sure.
Brenna

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri June 8th, 2012, 9:47 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]I just read that in another book too. Was it Margaret George's Henry VIII book? I think so. I would be interested to know for sure.[/quote]

I don't remember if the stepmother story was in Margaret George's novel. It was debunked a number of years ago, and I don't know of any reputable historian who accepts it now.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sat June 9th, 2012, 1:57 am

Plodding through The King's Man by Pauline Gedge. I just want to shake Huy and make him DO something!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat June 9th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Starting an Early Reader book A Galaxy of Immortal Women: The Yin Side of Chinese Civilization by Brian Griffith. Looking forward to learning more about Chinese goddess traditions. :)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sat June 9th, 2012, 5:04 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I don't remember if the stepmother story was in Margaret George's novel. It was debunked a number of years ago, and I don't know of any reputable historian who accepts it now.[/quote]

Good to know. Too bad Loft's describes Anne's and Mary's mother as a whore.
Brenna

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat June 9th, 2012, 5:37 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Good to know. Too bad Loft's describes Anne's and Mary's mother as a whore.[/quote]

I just read Weir's book on Mary Boleyn and from what she wrote it seems that Elizabeth Boleyn may have had a some what bad reputation.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sun June 10th, 2012, 12:27 am

Currently reading Becoming Marie Antoinette. About a third of the way through. Thoroughly enjoying it.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun June 10th, 2012, 6:55 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I think the notion that Anne had a stepmother has been disproved by recent historians. It was still current when Lofts and Jean Plaidy were writing, though.[/quote]
If I remember correctly, Margaret Campbell Barnes mentions a stepmother in Brief Gaudy Hour too.

Return to “General Discussion”