Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you writing? June 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
rockygirl
Avid Reader

What are you writing? June 2012

Post by rockygirl » Fri June 8th, 2012, 2:08 am

Currently, I'm avoiding writing a speech for a colleague's retirement dinner tomorrow night. I wrote a great ending, a good intro, BUT, the middle is making me nuts!

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Fri June 8th, 2012, 2:42 am

Working diligently on Orestes: The High King.
Last edited by lauragill on Fri June 8th, 2012, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: na

DanielAWillis
Reader

Working on a nonfiction book

Post by DanielAWillis » Fri June 8th, 2012, 3:26 am

I am slaving on the genealogical details of the first volume of my genealogy of the descendants of King Charles II. This volume focuses on the descendants of his son, the Duke of Monmouth.
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri June 8th, 2012, 3:47 am

Working on a local history article for a regional history website.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri June 8th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Had a great day yesterday, rewrote a short story (based on a family member from 1740.) After hubby does the copy edit thing, it will be read to send out. Problem being few markets for HF shorts. Most have word limits and mine's over 4000 words. It will go in a collection later, but for now do want to circulate it.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri June 8th, 2012, 4:47 pm

I am writing my next blog post, a hilarious incident from our years running a transition home for women and children. Tentatively titled, 'Regarding a chicken, a CPS* worker, and a toilet plunger.'

I have piles of true stories that spring from that decade, more even than from running a llama outfitting business. I never dared write a memoir (they know where I live -- the women will laugh, and hopefully their now-grown kids, but there are some truly scummy significant others I wouldn't want to tangle with) but I'm thinking I can get away with short blog posts if I change the names. I'm looking for a collection of the most unlikely and preposterous names imaginable to call the (real) people in the anecdotes. I picked Gertrude for this one. Murgatroyd and Algernon also come to mind, but most of our guests were female and I'm racking my brains for weird ones that don't sound like I'm lampooning the black community. Suggestions welcome!

*CPS = Child Protective Services, a loose cannon agency if ever there was one.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Fri June 8th, 2012, 9:04 pm

Speech finished, submitted for feedback, practiced, and set to be delivered in two hours!!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri June 8th, 2012, 9:14 pm

How about Xanthippe, MLE? She was the wife of Socrates, and is supposed to have been a real shrew (though I can well imagine how difficult daily affairs might have been for the wife of Socrates - practical matters would have likely been beyond his capacity).
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri June 8th, 2012, 9:23 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]How about Xanthippe, MLE? She was the wife of Socrates, and is supposed to have been a real shrew (though I can well imagine how difficult daily affairs might have been for the wife of Socrates - practical matters would have likely been beyond his capacity).[/quote]
That's a good one, Margaret! If the names I use are really way out there, I doubt anyone will think I'm discussing a real person--or at least, they won't feel exposed. Those years of working with abused women have made me sensitive to their issues. I shudder to think how easily they could be tracked by their abusers nowadays, with so much information available.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri June 8th, 2012, 9:45 pm

[quote=""annis""]Working on a local history article for a regional history website.[/quote]

Where abouts? Local histories have been invaluable to me in my family history research.

I am certainly not a professional author but I am always in the midst of re-writing and amending the family histories I've written on all my ancestors for my own person enjoyment. I also started a blog on my genealogy journey.

Return to “General Discussion”