Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Speculating on Game of Thrones

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon May 21st, 2012, 2:16 am

[quote=""Mythica""]About Robb - I must be the only one who
[/quote]

OK I can't write this without the spoiler.

Robb Spoiler Warning
Bec :) PS: I still think Richard Madden(SP?) would make a brilliant Robert the Bruce.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon May 21st, 2012, 2:23 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I agree with you Bec, I'd probably forgive Jaime most things except for what he did to Bran.

In the UK, the 3rd book has been split into 2 separate books, so going by the page number you give, I would think it happens in the second book.[/quote]

The one thing I think is a legitimate complaint made by Jaime is that they all wanted the mad king dead, but when Jaime did kill him they then all loathed him for doing it. Ned, Robert etc say it is the way it was done...Is there a good way to murder someone? Especially when that someone is king and if you fail, you're the one who will be dead? There is a touch of hypocrisy involved here and deep in his heart I think Jaime longs for their respect.

I am glad Martin gave Jaime his own chapters because you gain a better understanding of him and as I said I swing like a pendulum with him....But what he did to Bran is inexcusable and it is this that taints him in my mind and not the murder of the mad king.

Bec :)

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon May 21st, 2012, 8:55 am

[quote=""rebecca""]OK I can't write this without the spoiler.

Robb Spoiler Warning
Bec :) PS: I still think Richard Madden(SP?) would make a brilliant Robert the Bruce.[/quote]

That's the thing though - Ned is also kind of a boring character to me. Honorable. But boring. No depth. So it's not surprising I found his son - who takes after him so much - boring as well. I think I've done that without spoilers, lol.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue May 22nd, 2012, 1:44 am

[quote=""Mythica""]That's the thing though - Ned is also kind of a boring character to me. Honorable. But boring. No depth. So it's not surprising I found his son - who takes after him so much - boring as well. I think I've done that without spoilers, lol.[/quote]

I see your point and to be honest I do find the more villainy characters more interesting, but I liked Ned and the Stark family. The characters that truly bored me rigid through almost every book was Sansa Stark and ofcourse my loathing for the Greyjoys. :rolleyes: ....I wrote that without a spoiler too :D :Dheehee :p

Bec :) Looking forward to tonights episode.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue May 22nd, 2012, 8:40 am

I agree Sansa is pretty boring, but then she doesn't really have a lot to do, does she? I still think Dany is the most uninteresting character, closely followed by Theon. But the character who's changed the most from the first book/series to the second is Arya - in the first book and series I wanted to drown her every time she appeared, but this time I think she is one of the best characters, and is played by an extraordinary young actress.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue May 22nd, 2012, 9:39 am

Sansa became more interesting for me in the 4th book but I have always found it interesting to watch how she copes with everything that's happening to her. But in Feast for Crows, we start to see her nature and character rather than just her survival abilities and it's very interesting to me.
What I've also found fascinating is the way that both Sansa and Arya are fighting to survive - just in very, very different situations and therefore in different ways, and how their different natures are ideal survival methods for their different predicaments.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 23rd, 2012, 8:45 am

Well, watched this week's ep last night and one part threw me -
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu May 24th, 2012, 2:57 am

I agree that Sansa does become a little more interesting in the latter books, but I still speed read her chapters as I did with Arya and some others. I have always found the character of Dany a little tedious and I skimmed her chapters, though in the TV version she is more interesting.

But what I don't like is the fact that through book after book they are still children...I would hate to read the end of the series(and what a looonnng wait it has been) to find that they have aged six months! When it comes to Arya I do like the inclusion of Gendry(when is he going to question why so many want him dead?) and that other character with the white streak in his hair(the I can never remember strange names? :p person).

Arya spoiler
Stark Spoiler Warning.
I hope they end the show with the battle between the Lannisters and Stannis.

I look forward to seeing more of Jaime and Brienne.

Bec :)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri May 25th, 2012, 1:24 am

Rebecca, I didn't care for Robb all that much; but when the
Definitely didn't think of Robb as much, but I threw the book across the room when I got to that part (had to reread it to make sure I was reading it right). I only picked it up again because Martin has a way of sucking you in to his universe.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri May 25th, 2012, 1:29 am

[quote=""rebecca""]But what I don't like is the fact that through book after book they are still children...I would hate to read the end of the series(and what a looonnng wait it has been) to find that they have aged six months! [/quote]

One of the biggest problems I had with the books was there there was no time reference. Except for the nine months of Dany's pregnancy, I really couldn't tell how much time was passing. I think book one maybe a year, and perhaps a year passes in the 2 and 3 book. But Im never sure.

I was bothered by the ages of the children because I really couldn't see children as young as Bran and Arya acting as they did. But in that world, kids might grow up very fast. Not sure. I certainly was uncomfortable with Dany's age, esp when she is sold in marriage. At least in the tv series, they raised all of their ages by a few years, and the actors playing them are considerably older.

Re your spoiler about why Arya chose the names she did - its because she is 9 years old. She's thinking of the immediate threats to her safety. In the books, she doesn't have much if any interaction with Tywin, and wouldn't be thinking of the long term advantage of such a deed.
Last edited by Ash on Fri May 25th, 2012, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”