Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where Are You Now?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun May 20th, 2012, 12:30 am

I'm reading a bit of nonfiction--I'm in Victorian England with Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace, an ARC of a book by Kate Summerscale, author of The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. This time, she chronicles an infamous 1850 divorce case based on the imaginative diaries of a housewife.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 20th, 2012, 12:39 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]I'm reading a bit of nonfiction--I'm in Victorian England with Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace, an ARC of a book by Kate Summerscale, author of The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. This time, she chronicles an infamous 1850 divorce case based on the imaginative diaries of a housewife.[/quote]

Hi Kasthu, nice to see you around again.

I'm at the theatre with the Prince of Wales and Maria Fitzherbert.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun May 20th, 2012, 1:44 am

I'm in the gardens of Schönbrunn Palace with Archduchess Maria Antonia who is supposed to be paying attention to her French lesson, but rather chase butterflies.
Last edited by Susan on Sun May 20th, 2012, 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Rhunt
Scribbler

Post by Rhunt » Sat May 26th, 2012, 7:35 pm

In Victorian London with Sherlock Holmes, in a non-Doyle incarnation, surprised at how well the author captured the period -- with the exception of cigarettes being everywhere. It's a bit jarring --I know they had them, but at that time, I would have thought that a pipe would be more likely for carriage driver, a boatman, or a farm laborer. :confused:

It's not my period of greatest knowledge, though, so I may err. Anyway, I'm on the bank of the Thames looking at a mangled corpse in the company of Holmes and Watson...
Rhian Hunt

Now Available: The Six Expressions of Death A murder mystery set in 16th century Japan.
Coming Late 2012: Man of the Bow and Spear Continuation of the series.

The Six Expressions of Death

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat May 26th, 2012, 9:38 pm

[quote=""Rhunt""]In Victorian London with Sherlock Holmes, in a non-Doyle incarnation, surprised at how well the author captured the period -- with the exception of cigarettes being everywhere. It's a bit jarring --I know they had them, but at that time, I would have thought that a pipe would be more likely for carriage driver, a boatman, or a farm laborer. :confused:

It's not my period of greatest knowledge, though, so I may err. Anyway, I'm on the bank of the Thames looking at a mangled corpse in the company of Holmes and Watson...[/quote]

I remember reading about that not long ago but no idea where so I googled it a little:

• 1852: Matches are introduced, making smoking more convenient.
• 1853-1856: EUROPE: CRIMEAN WAR British soldiers learn how cheap and convenient the cigarettes ("Papirossi") used by their Turkish allies are, and bring the practise back to England.
• 1854: ENGLAND: BUSINESS: London tobacconist Philip Morris begins making his own cigarettes.

The History of Tobacco
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat May 26th, 2012, 10:40 pm

Aspinwall, Panama 1857. Preparing to board the SS Central America - a bit of maritime history I'd never heard of before.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun May 27th, 2012, 1:42 am

Posted by Misfit
Preparing to board the SS Central America - a bit of maritime history I'd never heard of before.
If you have time, I highly recommend reading Gary Kinder's Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea, for the remarkable story of a true treasure hunt.
Last edited by annis on Sun May 27th, 2012, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun May 27th, 2012, 10:44 am

Covent Garden.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun May 27th, 2012, 2:44 pm

I'm in 18thC Bristol and I've just acquired a couple of elephants to look after.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 27th, 2012, 2:56 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Misfit

If you have time, I highly recommend reading Gary Kinder's Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea, for the remarkable story of a true treasure hunt.[/quote]

Thanks Annis.

Return to “General Discussion”