Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed May 9th, 2012, 9:48 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]On the weekend I finally got to see Iron Lady and thought it a very good movie and Meryl did deserve the Oscar. Did it make me sympathetic towards Thatcher? No.

I also watched 'Titanic' and was disppointed and thought it lacked substance. Some of the plot lines were too contrived and lacked reality. It is watchable.

Bec :) [/quote]

Saw Titanic in the theater. Loved watching it on that big screen but my family spent the entire ride home discussing how to fix it. :D

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu May 10th, 2012, 3:16 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Saw Titanic in the theater. Loved watching it on that big screen but my family spent the entire ride home discussing how to fix it. :D [/quote]

Oh I loved the movie 'Titanic' with Kate and Leo. The Titanic I saw was on DVD and written by Julian Fellowes. I watched it, but I wouldn't re-watch it.

LOL @ How to fix it :p :p

There is so little on TV these days apart from GOT. It all seems to be those horrible reality TV programs which bore me to tears!...I can't wait till Downtown Abbey Season 3...sighs..... :rolleyes: which probably wont air until later this year or early next year.

Bec :)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu May 10th, 2012, 4:04 am

Well, there's always Castle. The season finale this week was amazingly good!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu May 10th, 2012, 4:05 am

[quote=""Ash""]Well, there's always Castle. The season finale this week was amazingly good![/quote]

Heck yeah!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu May 10th, 2012, 8:11 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Well, there's always Castle. The season finale this week was amazingly good![/quote]

It totally was! I do so enjoy watching Nathan Fillion.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu May 10th, 2012, 11:54 pm

Netflix has the original Dark Shadows, circa 1966, which (being a contrarian) I decided to watch in defiance of Depp. I may also end up watching the new release, but figured if it comes to that I should have at least some familiarity with the original. It is SLOW moving, as soaps tend to be, but all right.

Still 'flixing up bits of Upstairs/Downstairs as well, and am well over halfway through the Battlestar reboot now. Battlestar is some seriously disturbing stuff (and I do not mean that in a good/"challenging" way at all) presented in the most compelling, riveting way. I can't stop watching, and it's so incredibly offensive in so many ways.

In the mood to dip into Deep Space 9 again.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri May 11th, 2012, 1:12 am

Dear husband got us hooked on Showtime's Weeds via Netflix. Not exactly kid friendly but we are enjoying it nevertheless (only into season two at this point). Have Winter Bone to watch on Blue Ray next.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri May 11th, 2012, 2:57 am

Season 2 of Upstairs/Downstairs arrived yesterday and I shall be watching it next week. I was a little disappointed with the first season in that it is simply not as good as the original, but it is watchable and much preferable to the reality TV that is everywhere on our channels here.

I do enjoy some reality TV shows, such as 'Come Dine With Me,' where I can sit and giggle that if I were the cook it'd be much worse than that! :D :p ...I caught a little of a show called 'Mob Wives' last year and roared with laughter at the absurdity of these supposed women demanding respect! :eek: ...But I couldn't watch it again.

I remember speaking to some Americans who all said they loved 'Dark Shadows' and on the nights it was on they'd all rush home to watch it. I at that time had never heard of the show....But I have seen the Depp trailer and laughed out loud at some of the scenes.

As for the Castle, I haven't heard of that one either? I will have to go and look it up.

Bec :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri May 11th, 2012, 8:55 am

I enjoy Castle, we're halfway through series 4 here, we've just had the episode where he and Beckett are handcuffed together and they can't remember why? Good ep, funny as well as quite tense. One of the best eps they did was the one that had the steampunk party, I think it was either series 2 or 3.

I've just read that Grey's Anatomy has been renewed - why? The show is utter drivel.

Upstairs Downstairs has just been cancelled here, disappointing ratings and not very good reviews. I watched the first couple of eps and was bored stiff, so if you weren't that keen on the first series then I don't hold out much hope for the second one.

I hate reality TV as well, although Come Dine with Me is quite fun.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Fri May 11th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Hereafter, directed by Clint Eastwood. A real surprise, and an excellent film, IMO.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”