Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Edinburgh Questions

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon April 23rd, 2012, 9:17 pm

Betty's Tea Roomsin York are lovely.

For lunch, Lucia's is very nice. Or there's Plunkets. Or Stonegate Yard. And Harkers.

There are plenty of places to eat really and you will come across loads as you wander around. Don't forget to have a wander down the Shambles, too! And have a look down little alleyways for traditional pubs - a lot of them are hidden away!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sun May 6th, 2012, 10:02 pm

Thanks so much, Vanessa! I'm eagerly writing this all down. : )

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Wed May 9th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Edinburgh is awesome! I spent a summer in London and took the train up there for two or three days about 15 years ago. Easily the most beautiful place I've ever been. I wish I had gone furthrer up into the highlands.

I have no food recommendations, but I would recommend the Scotch Whiskey museum. They let us sample a bunch of stuff. I staggered out of there completely hammered (I was 18 at the time, so that was the goal of course.)

Climbing to the top of that hill that looks like a lion (I forget the name) was awesome, and of course, the castle and crown jewels were well worth seeing.

Edinburgh is on my short list of places I would move to if I won the lottery (probably only stay there in the summer though.) Enjoy your trip!
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 10th, 2012, 1:40 pm

I'm not sure when you're planning on visiting Edinburgh, but the Festival takes place throughout August, so be warned - it'll be heaving and you may have trouble getting accommodation - in the City anyway, probably easier if you stay a little way outside - and finding places to eat might also take some time. I'd love to go there but wouldn't go in August!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu May 10th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Czar--hahahaha on the whiskey goal! And we are heading up to the highlands for an overnight during the week. Should be cool.

Madeleine--we are going July 7 so hopefully we will avoid some of that--thanks for the warning

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 10th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Oh you should be OK then! Sounds a lovely trip.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

J.D. Oswald
Reader

Post by J.D. Oswald » Wed May 16th, 2012, 7:39 am

Hello
Hendersons vegetarian restaurant in Edinburgh is good (and it's been around for ages, I remember my Dad telling me that he'd eaten in it when he was young). It also has live music and other events in the evening. See http://www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk/

Hope you enjoy your trip.
J.D.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu May 17th, 2012, 2:46 am

Thanks, J.D. I'll check out that link.

Return to “Travel”