Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon April 30th, 2012, 12:09 pm

The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and I am the only one at work (for now). *sighs with contentment*
Brenna

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon April 30th, 2012, 8:25 pm

The surprises of earlier this week have been realized and led me on a whirlwind trip to see someone special for the first time in a long time. We spent what time we could together, shaking with laughter, by turns stupid and sweet, and it was joyous. *Inexpressibly happy and grateful*
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon April 30th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Went on a nice walk, got all my errands done. I even got the video game I wanted.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue May 1st, 2012, 12:49 am

Faire this weekend was fun. Sleeping half the day today was fun, too.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri May 4th, 2012, 4:45 pm

It's another cloudy day, but my oriole friend is back. I had my suspicions but usually it was from hearing a familiar bird song wayyyyy too early in the morning to actually check. Saw him this morning while we were waiting for buses. Now I just have to name him. I was thinking of something that starts with an O.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri May 4th, 2012, 5:00 pm

The youngest officially tied the knot with the young woman he has been with this last year. She's also bipolar, but no psychotic episodes, and she has actually managed to get him almost through the paperwork for his SSI. We couldn't manage it, because he would go into one of his episodes every so often and tear up the forms.

Now that they can combine their two allotments as a married couple, we have found them a nice place in an area where housing is cheap (due to no job opportunities, but that's not a problem for them). And the best part is it's two hour's drive away, so we can still provide support while having a little breathing room.

I may actually finish the WIP. :D
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Fri May 4th, 2012, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat May 5th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Great news , MLE! Hope it works out.

Rescued a baby cardinal yesterday. A male and female cardinal were acting frantic in my front yard, chirping and flying from tree to bush to porch rail to garbage can (next to the porch.) When I checked the garbage can, there was a baby bird...fully feathered, but cheeping forlornly. The parents weren't happy about my checking out the baby and became even more agitated.

I figured the little one left the nest and didn't have the energy to get back. I've seen baby cardinals do that before in our yard. The parents have to bring them food, before they can flit from a bush back into the tree. We have feral cats, so I didn't want to put the baby in a bush. A friend helped me fashion a "nest" we could hang under the porch so the parents could get to the baby, but the cats couldn't.

Mom and Dad fed the baby in the "nest" until sundown then disappeared. The baby went to sleep and survived the night. Parents back this morning and the baby gone by mid-morning. It must have recovered enough to fly away. I checked the nearby bushes and didn't hear/find it, so hope all is well. Hubby captured a few seconds of cardinal parenting and put it up on Youtube. The "nest" turned into a bit of a merry-go-round when the adults landed and took off, but the baby held on!

Watch (and listen) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvQO3m2hkmA
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun May 6th, 2012, 10:46 am

What a lovely story Faith - it did look a bit precarious when the parent bird flew off! Hope it has a nice long life thanks to your efforts.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun May 6th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Great story Faith!

I ran my first 5k today and finished in 36 minutes. Better than I anticipated but very sore at the moment.
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon May 7th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Baby cardinal update: Sunday we had two babies hanging out in our azalea bushes, testing their wings. Parents close and attentive. They were all very noisy and attracted a couple of cats, which I shooed off. This little bit of nature drama is taking place in the middle of Brooklyn, with people strolling ten feet away, cars zipping down the street, lawnmowers running next door. Fun!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Chat”