Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Recommendations: Alaska, British Columbia

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue April 24th, 2012, 2:21 am

[quote=""annis""]Robin Hobb! Love her books - in fact I'm just reading the Rain Wild trilogy at the moment. I enjoyed the novels she wrote in her Megan Lindholm incarnation.[/quote]

I knew she wrote other fantasy novels but never really looked at them. Any one you'd recommend, either as Lindholm or Hobb?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue April 24th, 2012, 3:11 am

[quote=""Ash""]
I remember hearing about I Heard the Owl Call My Name, but never read it, but its based in BC.
[/quote]

I read I Heard the Owl Call My Name decades ago. It is a very intimate, haunting novel full of authentic-feeling characters. In fact, it's worth a re-read -- I wonder if it is on kindle?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue April 24th, 2012, 7:50 am

Posted by Ash
I knew she wrote other fantasy novels but never really looked at them. Any one you'd recommend, either as Lindholm or Hobb?
My favourite is probably the Farseer trilogy, but I do enjoy most of her work - she has a real talent for world-building.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue April 24th, 2012, 11:21 am

A recently published one. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. Based on the fairy tale, but set in Alaska. I loved it.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue April 24th, 2012, 12:49 pm

[quote=""EC2""]A recently published one. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. Based on the fairy tale, but set in Alaska. I loved it.[/quote]

I do want to read that one. Very long hold list at the library and they have multiple copies.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Marian
Scribbler

Post by Marian » Wed April 25th, 2012, 6:53 pm

Megan Lindholm's "Cloven Hooves" is set in Alaska, but it's not historical fiction, more like magical realism. I loved this book when it was first published in 1991 and read it about 20 times back-to-back. It was supposed to be re-released this year, but it seems that is no longer going to happen. (The Waterstones website says "Publication abandoned.") Older copies can be found, but not easily. :(

[quote=""EC2""]A recently published one. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. Based on the fairy tale, but set in Alaska. I loved it.[/quote]

Definitely endorse this recommendation. This book is phenomenal...loved it so very much!

Return to “America”