Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

princess's 2013 Reading Log

Use this section to record the books you read in 2013. One thread per member, please.
princess
Reader

princess's 2013 Reading Log

Post by princess » Mon January 14th, 2013, 11:02 pm

The Chessmen - Peter May
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Tue February 5th, 2013, 11:23 pm

The Beggar King: A Hangman's Daughter Tale - Oliver Potzsch
Island of Wings - Karin Altenberg
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed February 6th, 2013, 5:01 am

What did you make of Island of Wings? It's one of those books that I see every now and then in library and think about taking out, but wondered if it might be a bit "worthy".

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Wed February 6th, 2013, 9:31 pm

[quote=""annis""]What did you make of Island of Wings? It's one of those books that I see every now and then in library and think about taking out, but wondered if it might be a bit "worthy".[/quote]

I found it so-so if I'm honest. There didn't seem to be much of a plot - it mostly focused on the relationship between the main character and her husband. It was interesting with regard to learning about the way of life on St Kilda.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Sat May 4th, 2013, 8:51 pm

The Invisible Infanta (Trastamara Chronicles) - Elizabeth Toner
The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey
Wine of Violence :1 (A Medieval Mystery) - Priscilla Royal

Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel. Purchased Wolf Hall on my Kindle on a whim (as I've never been particularly interested in the Tudor era - I think it's "overdone") and I loved it so much I went straight on to read Bring up the Bodies.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Fri May 10th, 2013, 8:35 pm

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom - loved it.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Sun May 19th, 2013, 9:01 pm

Wife to the Bastard - Hilda Lewis

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Wed June 12th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Fri July 5th, 2013, 6:03 pm

And the Mountains Echoed - Khaled Hosseini. Another beautifully written book, but not quite on par with his previous two in my opinion.

The Last Runaway - Tracy Chevalier. Although her stories tend not to move fast, I always like them - and this was no different.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Mon August 12th, 2013, 7:23 pm

The Falcons of Fire and Ice by Karen Maitland - struggled with this (lack of atmosphere and style of writing) until about 60% through when it improved and the plot seemed to find a direction to take. Wouldn't recommend.

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2013”