Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What audiobooks are you listening to?

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

What audiobooks are you listening to?

Post by Ludmilla » Wed May 25th, 2016, 2:04 pm

I'm in the middle of Gabaldon's Written in My Own Heart's Blood, which is loooooong! If you're like me and can't remember half of what happened in the other books there's no need to worry. No gesture, no amount of feeling or thought process that goes into character decisions will ever go undescribed, even those things that don't pertain directly to the sprawling plotlines or the ridiculousness of adding more time travelers to the tale. You can also count on Gabaldon's characters reminiscing over every bit of minutia from their past. That said, it's still entertaining. Davina Porter narrates, and she's good, but her voice doesn't really match what's in my head for Claire. She does well with the Scottish characters and children, though.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: What audiobooks are you listening to?

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed May 25th, 2016, 2:35 pm

I'm listening to Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom. Except not very often, because when I have listening time, I'm spending it having that mechanical Kindle voice (not bad, actually, and by now my brain translates it automatically) read back to me the daily edit on the work-in-progress. Only the older kindles will do this--darn Amazon for dropping the feature!

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Sat May 28th, 2016, 12:09 am

About 70%+ of the books I "read" are actually audio books. Recent favorites are the Chris Pavone books - The Expats, The Accident, & The Travelers. I especially like the narration of The Travelers by Paul Michael. A good narrator adds so much to the experience, especially when foreign words are involved. One of my favorite audio books was Paris by Edward Rutherfurd because of the great narration by Jean Gilpin.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed June 29th, 2016, 4:29 am

I'm listening to Susan Wise Bauer's History of the Medieval World from the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade. Fascinating round-the-world glimpse of history, decade by decade. I could follow the western parts, because I had some framework, but Persia, India, Japan, China and Korea were something of a blur! I'm re-listening to it just to get the back-and-forth straight.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed June 29th, 2016, 9:56 pm

I'm listening to Emma by Jane Austen. I've read it a few times, but it's nice to be read to sometimes.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu June 30th, 2016, 1:20 pm

I'm listening to The Water Devil by Judith Merkle Riley. I picked up the kindle when it was on sale and added the audio to it. I'm really enjoying the humor in this one.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu June 30th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Have you read the first two? I think #2 is my favorite.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu June 30th, 2016, 6:38 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:Have you read the first two? I think #2 is my favorite.
Yes. I've read the first two and had been meaning to pick up the third, so finding it on sale recently sealed the deal. I think my favorite scene from book two is Gilbert talking to the physician not realizing who he's really talking to. :lol:

I also really liked the author's standalone, The Oracle Glass.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri July 1st, 2016, 12:52 am

Yes, I loved that bit. The fancy word for it is a theophany, and it was absolutely hilarious. Riley's tongue-in-cheek humor is what makes it for me.
I loved the Oracle Glass, too. Now that I think about it, maybe that is my favorite of hers.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun July 3rd, 2016, 7:58 pm

Persuasion by Jane Austen. One of my least read of her novels.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Audiobooks”