Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Listening vs Reading a Book

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Thu January 29th, 2009, 1:01 am

I've listened to a few audiobooks in my car, although I prefer listening to lectures from The Teaching Company. In most cases I would rather be reading the actual book instead of listening to the audiobook, but I don't think the other drivers would like it ;) However, it is a good way to get through an otherwise daunting book, like A Tale of Two Cities, which I listened to recently. Mr. Cruncher and all, I don't know if I would've gotten through it if it wasn't for listening to 45 minutes at at time on my commute. I also listened to For Whom the Bell Tolls, which was read well, although it did bug me when the actor mispronounced Avila, which is a small quibble, since he had most of his Spanish pronunciation down. Several years ago a friend lent me the audiobook of The DaVinci Code. Since she was listening to the disc just ahead of me, I ended up passing her up & having to go out & buy the book to read the last half. As I was reading though, I was still hearing the narrators accent for each character in my head. :D

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu January 29th, 2009, 1:25 am

I never got the whole "I read book X when I drove down to FL and listened to the audio." Listening to a book and reading a book are different to me. Personally I hate listening to books on tape. I would much rather read it, but thats just me.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu January 29th, 2009, 2:58 am

The only time I will listen to audio books is when I'm driving to Albany NY to visit my best friend...3.5 hours drive...so listening to a book really helps to pass the time......Last time out I enjoyed BC's "The Pale Horseman" narrated by Jamie Glover, he did a great job, especially pronouncing the sites and the characters Danish and Saxon names....I had read the book a couple of years earlier and it was nice to hear again....

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu January 29th, 2009, 3:14 am

Was this "Quartered Safe Out Here", Volgadon? One of the best ever war memoirs, imo.

I struggle to listen to books on tape. I get impatient and fidgety and nowhere near as involved as I do when actually reading. I keep praying that my eyesight doesn't deteriorate to the point that I end up dependent on talking books.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu January 29th, 2009, 3:46 am

Me thinks...listening to a Flashy novel....with a good narration i.e Jeremy Irons or .....would be a real hoot.......

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu January 29th, 2009, 8:48 am

I find it difficult to listen to audiobooks - I find my concentration starts to wander. On the odd occasion when I have tried them, I find it easier if it's something light. Anything that needs a bit of concentration, I have to have a printed book. However, I do have the first three of the Outlander books on CD and do listen to those! :o I've read them as well, so perhaps that makes it easier and, of course, I do enjoy them so much!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu January 29th, 2009, 1:51 pm

I have difficulty 'reading' audio books as well; I can't keep my concentration on the story. Plus when I read, there is a mini-film projector going on in my head. That doesn't happen when I am listening. Even listening to a radio show like All Things Considered can be difficult unless I am driving or doing something aroundthe house - I can't just sit there.

That being said, I certainly understand why they are popular. For one thing, the only time some folks can 'read' is if they can listen while multitasking. My husband was a maintenance supervisor for years, and did most of his reading via audios while he was working; I can certainly see it for long distance driving.
Last edited by Ash on Thu January 29th, 2009, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu January 29th, 2009, 2:27 pm

[quote=""chuck""]The only time I will listen to audio books is when I'm driving to Albany NY to visit my best friend...3.5 hours drive...so listening to a book really helps to pass the time......Last time out I enjoyed BC's "The Pale Horseman" narrated by Jamie Glover, he did a great job, especially pronouncing the sites and the characters Danish and Saxon names....I had read the book a couple of years earlier and it was nice to hear again....[/quote]

I also have listened to The Pale Horseman and loved listening to Jamie Glover's narration. But in this case, I have every intention of reading the book itself along with the others in the series.

I have decided that for the most part, I prefer reading, but since my TBR pile of historical books keeps growing, I find less time for the other genres I enjoy. That's where audiobooks come in for me. I love Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, so I'm listening to Lean Mean Thirteen as I drive to and from work.

Listening to audiobooks on long trips does make the time go by faster more so than just listening to music.

TerriPray
Reader

Post by TerriPray » Thu January 29th, 2009, 9:05 pm

I tend to listen to them a lot, especially whilst I'm doing chores, cooking dinner, semi screening out the screams from the children as they try to kill each other...err I mean get into things.

But also when I'm going through massive amounts of email, or at the office packing, binding books, trimming them (we physically make our own books).

When we're going to conventions, which can mean a full day to 3 days in the car each way, we listen to them. I can't read well when he's driving. But I can listen.

Yes, a good narrator makes a huge difference, but I listen to 1-3 books a week this way now.
Currently reading through submissions ranging from alternative history to science fiction and fantasy.

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Thu January 29th, 2009, 9:12 pm

I do enjoy listening to books on tape (or iPod, more accurately), but it's not a replacement for reading. I mainly listen when I'm doing something relatively mindless - housework, watering the garden, walking the dog, on long car rides. I really hate to be bored and have a hard time letting my mind just wander.

I find that I like to listen to books with a strong story that I'm able to remember - if I think I may need to go back and check details or dates, I'll read a book instead. If I really want to savor and enjoy a book, I'll read it. If I just want something entertaining to pass the time, I'll listen to it. For some reason, I do well with non-HF and classics in audio format. I always get the unabridged versions - I want the whole thing, thank you very much.

I do count books I listen to as "books read" in a checkmark, I-know-what-happens, reading log way, but it's a very different experience.

Return to “Audiobooks”