Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Listening vs Reading a Book

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri July 31st, 2009, 2:41 pm

[quote=""<Nerd!""].The snob in me says that audiobooks do not count as books read. Unless of course you're medically blind. I which case I'll let ya :D [/quote]

There are many people, for what ever reason, can't sit and read (learning disability, work, kids, etc), not to mention that some people 'read' better listening to a story (ie learning styles - I am a visual learning, my DH is a auditory one, so we have different styles in reading) So I have no trouble calling it 'reading' when you listen to a book. I do think that when you are discussing a book, the viewpoint from a 'audio' reader is going to be different than a 'visual' reader. Thats not a bad thing, just different and it makes for a very interesting discussion.

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Wed August 5th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Personally, I count every book I've heard read out or dramatised on Radio 4 as 'books I have read', as well as every book that was read out on Jackanory!

For non-UK readers, Jackanory was a wonderful little programme, 15 minutes a day of someone reading a story over a week. I've never opened a Mrs Pepperpot book, but I know the stories because of Jackanory, and it also introduced me to many authors I would never have heard of otherwise. I have very fond memories of Anthony Quayle reading The Rats of NIMH.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed August 5th, 2009, 8:03 pm

[quote=""Eigon""]I've never opened a Mrs Pepperpot book, but I know the stories because of Jackanory....[/quote]

Mrs Pepperpot! Jackanory! Haven't thought of either of those in many years. I did in fact read all of the Mrs Pepperpot books. loved 'em.

burlgirl
Scribbler

Post by burlgirl » Mon January 25th, 2010, 9:58 pm

I discovered the joys of audio books about 10 years ago, and I haven't stopped! I typically use them when I'm driving (I get an hour's worth of listening a day). If I'm cross stitching I find it's also a great time to listen. But I can't just sit down to listen. I need a book then.

I do count them as books "read" because they are books I would have enjoyed if I had read them.

Narrators are critical. Davina Porter, who narrates the Outlander series is my favorite. She can really do various voices consistently well. I can recognize immediately which character is speaking before you get to the end of the sentance where it says which character just spoke. I'm blanking on the narrator for the Amelia Peabody series, but she's excellent as well.

I started to listen to Bernard Cornwall's series on Arthur, but the narrator was so bad that I had to stop. Now, I can't even pick up the printed version, and it has sort of left a bad taste in mouth for any of Cornwall's books. I'll strive to get over it some day.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Tue January 26th, 2010, 9:22 am

I agree with those whi have said that the reader / narrator can make or break an audiobook.
I've listened to Harry Potter inboth versions, and Jim Dale just doesn't seem right to me - probably becuase I first heard Stephen Fry, and that was the narrator that imprinted on me as "right". :D

I usually listen to books while exercising, when i can't take an actual book with me. I'm currently working my way through the Big Finish Dr Who radio plays (not strictly books, but close enough), and I find that the time passes much more quickly than just listening to music.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Tue January 26th, 2010, 11:26 am

My husband drove from Sydney to Brisbane today....and I suggested that he download an audiobook. I thought he would scoff at the idea as he is a big music listener, but he picked out two Clive Cussler books, and he listened to one on the way up today! The narrator was pretty dreadful though....almost as bad a computer text-to-speech voice. But he said even listening to his voice kept him amused.

Now...if only I could have convinced him to take some quality...like Jane Austen's Persuasion narrated by Greta Scacchi.....

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Tue January 26th, 2010, 8:12 pm

I can't stay focused listening, either. I listened to an audio book once years ago on a road trip. Shaara's Gone For Soldiers. Kept re-winding (it was cassette!) and finally gave up about 3/4 through.

Most of my reading is on a 1 hr50 min commute (each way) by train. If the train were not an option, and I could not read, I would try very hard to LEARN to listen. But it would not be easy.

Gordopolis
Reader

Re: Listening vs Reading a Book

Post by Gordopolis » Thu November 5th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Yep, I'm a good reader but a poor listener. I think (hope) I take more in when I'm listening to people face to face, but listening to a radio/audiobook/podcast or whatever, my attention just zones in and out. I listened to a podcast this morning that sounded like just my thing. An hour later, the end credit music was playing and I realised I had taken nothing of it in.

Same goes with audiobooks, I find it hard to concentrate. Reading is a different matter: my attention does wander, but usually within the world of the book - I can be staring at a single page for 20 mins while my mind is putting together the landscape and wondering what size of garrison is in the fort by the vital mountain pass... no wonder I'm such a slow reader!

Mim
Scribbler
Currently reading: Sapiens, A Brief History of Himankind
Interest in HF: I love history and putting together the facts of historical periods with fictional characters.
Favourite HF book: As A Driven Leaf
Preferred HF: Roman Period

Post by Mim » Tue April 19th, 2016, 5:44 pm

I can understand how that could be, but I find I retain quite a bit by listening to a book, perhaps amazingly so. I also don;'t have that much time to read, and have listened to several books on my commute. Sometimes I can still hear the narrator's voice if someone brings up the book!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue April 19th, 2016, 6:38 pm

I find it difficult to concentrate on audio too - I could never listen whilst driving :o ! Occasionally I'll listen to a radio play but that's about it.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Audiobooks”