Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Microsoft SURFACE v. Apple I-PAD

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
wendy
Compulsive Reader

Microsoft SURFACE v. Apple I-PAD

Post by wendy » Thu December 12th, 2013, 2:10 pm

I recently bought a Surface and it's awesome! Whereas the I-pad is basically a large I-phone, the Surface is a mini computer than does all the things my desk top does but much better, quicker, and lighter than a lap top. It's a must for travelling writers! How did I ever manage before? Any one else out there loving it too?
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu December 12th, 2013, 3:34 pm

I got an Asus Vivo. Loving it! I always wished that my silly little notebook had a keyboard that separated from the screen (and with the vivo tablet, I just ordered a separate bluetooth keyboard (altho of course it has the screen-tap one which seems to be the new standard). And it runs Word, which is really the important thing; I can write anywhere. And it fits in my purse.

Basically a moveable computer.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri December 13th, 2013, 8:35 pm

I don't have any problem doing anything on my iPad mini that I can do on my desktop. I have Pages (which means I can start a doc on any of my Apple devices and continue working on it on any other one - iPad, desktop, laptop, iPhone etc) and have a solar-powered wireless keyboard which at the tap of a key can also connect to any of my Apple devices.
Last edited by annis on Fri December 13th, 2013, 8:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”