Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Technical issue: is it file or device?

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Technical issue: is it file or device?

Post by Ludmilla » Wed December 4th, 2013, 4:46 pm

I'm currently reading from the Kindle app on my iPhone 4. I'm out and about and my kindle is at home. This ebook is approx 7200 loc in length. I'm at location 2659 and it won't advance beyond that. When I try to swipe to next page, it freezes or just throws me back to last location read. I've tried closing the file, archiving and re-downloading. I've even rebooted my iPhone. No matter what I do I can't get past location 2659. I can't check whether I'll have this issue on my Kindle device until I get home tonight. I guess if it doesn't work from my Kindle, I'll call Amazon customer service. Has anyone else had this issue? Does this sound like it is a corrupted ebook file?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 4th, 2013, 5:13 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I'm currently reading from the Kindle app on my iPhone 4. I'm out and about and my kindle is at home. This ebook is approx 7200 loc in length. I'm at location 2659 and it won't advance beyond that. When I try to swipe to next page, it freezes or just throws me back to last location read. I've tried closing the file, archiving and re-downloading. I've even rebooted my iPhone. No matter what I do I can't get past location 2659. I can't check whether I'll have this issue on my Kindle device until I get home tonight. I guess if it doesn't work from my Kindle, I'll call Amazon customer service. Has anyone else had this issue? Does this sound like it is a corrupted ebook file?[/quote]

That has happened to me on occasion on the Fire. Choose to go to a specific location, i.e. the chapter you are reading and see if that works. Also, try going to the next chapter and then back flipping the pages to where you left off reading.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed December 4th, 2013, 7:01 pm

I had already tried that. Now the ebook is totally frozen, won't open to any location at all even after re-downloading. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the file works on my Kindle. I can open and read other ebooks in the Kindle app on my iPhone, so there's something funny about the file. I just bought the ebook yesterday, so I'm sure I can return it if it doesn't work.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 4th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Bummer. I have heard people complain about not being able to access a particular book at all, but it has never happened to me.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu December 5th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Well, the ebook still works on my Kindle so it must be related to my iPhone. I'm not going to worry about it as along as it works on the Kindle.

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”