Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dedicated e-readers waste of money?

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
499BC
Scribbler

Dedicated e-readers waste of money?

Post by 499BC » Sun October 27th, 2013, 6:46 am

I got myself a Kindle a couple of years ago and enjoyed the e-book experience although I did think the interface was outdated and clunky (that tiny keyboard).

Then I got a Samsung phone and with it came a free 7ins tablet. So I downloaded the Kindle app (for free) for it and its a better interface than the Kindle :rolleyes: I haven't touched the Kindle since. Of course the tablet is much more versatile as well.

Wish I'd have known about this earlier. So if you haven't got an e-reader it might be worth getting hold of a tablet instead. Anyone want to buy a Kindle?

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sun October 27th, 2013, 11:36 am

I tried reading on the ipad, and it just didn't work for me. Magazines yes, books no.

I had a kindle keyboard which i liked just fine, now I have a Paperwhite. I love my kindle! I do have way to many books to read though so I try to alternate.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun October 27th, 2013, 1:17 pm

I assume you are talking about the original Kindle. I have an original Kindle and a Kindle Fire which my kids got me for Christmas when it first came out. There is a world of difference between the two. The Kindle Fire is really a tablet and is much easier to use as an e-reader, but I did also love my original Kindle at the time. However, I do bring both Kindles when I travel to Europe. The original Kindle, since it is not backlit, holds a charge much longer so it is good to read on long flights.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun October 27th, 2013, 2:54 pm

I have a tablet with the Kindle App but I still much prefer reading on my Kindle. Like Amanda I have a Paperwhite and I love it. I tend to alternate between reading paper books and the Kindle.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Sun October 27th, 2013, 4:47 pm

I work at a screen all day long, so usually by the end of the day my eyes are tired and not focusing properly. I've tried reading on a Kindle app on the iPad, but I prefer reading on my dedicated Kindle e-reader (or just a print book) as I feel it's easier on the eyes.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun October 27th, 2013, 4:59 pm

I have four kindles, and they are all very busy.

two second generation keyboard kindles -- mine and my husband's, but they are on the same account so we can swap books. Mine is a 3G, so it works anywhere I go without a wifi connection. And unlike my kid's smartphones or the ipad, I'm not paying any monthly fees for the privilege of browsing the internet. Though when I want to browse, I much prefer my desktop, or, in a pinch, my laptop. I might switch that to a tablet someday.

What I mostly use my keyboard for of late is to listen to. Particularly my WIP -- I email it to my kindle, they convert it, and when I'm driving around I listen. Catches all kinds of typos that my eyes skate right over -- and I can hear clunky phrasing, too. Much easier than recording it and playing back, although the kindle can't replace reading aloud to the dh.

And then I got a reconditioned ultra-cheap kindle (no speaker, no keyboard, but $49 plus screen advertisements) during the months I couldn't find my main one. Now that I don't need it anymore for personal use, it's still handy to 'lend' out books in my kindle library. Cheapkindle circulates around among friends / family. Especially good for reader feedback on the WIP, which I don't exactly want flying around the ether in its unpolished state.

I now have a paperwhite too, (no speakers) which the dh got me last Christmas, so I can read in the middle of the night without disturbing him. But the backlit screen will fatigue my eyes after a few hours. That's why I don't want a kindle fire or any kind of backlit pad.

I like using a dedicated reader just for reading. If I want to do other things, there are better tools.

kodiakblair
Scribbler

Post by kodiakblair » Mon October 28th, 2013, 12:49 am

Was given a loan of an old Kindle no light, keyboard or speakers or pictures for that matter. We were working in Aberdeen and sleeping in the car so leaving the light on was a no no. With my tablet I could do white text on black not an option on the old Kindle. Use the tablet you say! damn cigarette lighter was broke. Man that job was jinxed. Six weeks trying to sleep in a car with a drunk Bricklayer.
Old kindles great for the house battery last for ever.

K.B

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Mon October 28th, 2013, 11:50 am

I have a second generation Kindle (with keyboard) that I keep as a backup. I also have the Paperwhite (first generation), which I love, love, love.

Like Amanda, I have an iPad, but I don't like to read with it. People 3 seats behind me could read it, it's that big. lol

I could read with a Kindle app on my Samsung Galaxy 4, but I'm afraid it would drain the battery too quickly.

Mostly, I prefer the e-readers because they are easy to manage while I'm on the treadmill or the cross-trainer.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon October 28th, 2013, 1:11 pm

[quote=""499BC""]I got myself a Kindle a couple of years ago and enjoyed the e-book experience although I did think the interface was outdated and clunky (that tiny keyboard).

Then I got a Samsung phone and with it came a free 7ins tablet. So I downloaded the Kindle app (for free) for it and its a better interface than the Kindle :rolleyes: I haven't touched the Kindle since. Of course the tablet is much more versatile as well.

Wish I'd have known about this earlier. So if you haven't got an e-reader it might be worth getting hold of a tablet instead. Anyone want to buy a Kindle?[/quote]

It really comes down to the individual. Some people don't mind or even prefer reading on back lit screens but there are a lot of people who can't or would rather not and prefer an eInk screen.

Most dedicated ereaders no longer have keyboards and the touch screen interfaces are much more intuitive.

I have a full sized iPad and it's much too heavy to use as an ereader but I think even if I had a smaller tablet, I would still prefer my Kindle Paperwhite - the battery lasts so much longer, there is no mirror glare in the sunlight, and the screen doesn't dim/shut off within 30 seconds to a minute. Also, despite being a touch screen, there are less fingerprints and smudges (I think for the same reason there's no mirror glare). In fact, my husband has an iPad Mini (I haven't used it) but he still prefers his eInk Kobo for reading books.

So for a lot of people, dedicated ereaders are not a waste of money, there is still a firm market for them.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue October 29th, 2013, 4:38 pm

I have a Kindle , but haven't touched it since I got my iPad mini - no comparison, imo! Plus with a Kindle app I'm still able to access any Kindle books I want including all the stuff I already have on the Cloud.

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”