Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kindle Search Feature

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Kindle Search Feature

Post by Ludmilla » Sat June 2nd, 2012, 5:07 pm

Have you ever had to reimage your computer and then have to wait for Microsoft to reindex everything before you could find anything using search in Outlook, etc.?

Apparently, Kindle search works similarly. Your Kindle also indexes content when it is plugged in. I wondered why I was getting null results whenever I searched for anything a few days ago. It had always worked before and was driving me crazy because I knew the words I searched for were there. I tried rebooting, but that didn't work. The search finally started working only after I left it plugged in overnight.

Just sharing in case anyone else has this issue.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat June 2nd, 2012, 10:11 pm

I've heard of indexing getting hung up but never experienced it. The suggested solution is to search for a random, gibberish string of characters and it should bring up a list of books not indexed. Delete/remove them and re-download. But sometimes, it just stops indexing if it doesn't have enough battery power to finish (indexing does use up a lot of power) so plugging it in can resolve it too. Sounds like that was the case for you.

Gordopolis
Reader

Post by Gordopolis » Tue June 26th, 2012, 9:26 am

Hmmm, usually it only takes an hour or so after downloading a book before the Kindle manages to index it?

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”