Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tor goes DRM-free

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
annis
Bibliomaniac

Tor goes DRM-free

Post by annis » Fri April 27th, 2012, 9:20 am

Tor, a Macmillan imprint focusing on sci-fi and fantasy titles, is testing the waters for Macmillan by ripping up the rulebook on digital rights management as a tactic in the on-going war against the closed-loop book buying/selling model represented by outfits like Amazon.

This means readers will be able to buy a Tor e-book once and thereafter use it on any platform of their choice. Could be the start of something interesting in the e-book world.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/ap ... management
Last edited by annis on Fri April 27th, 2012, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri April 27th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Saw this on another list...great news!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri May 4th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Further discussion on this subject:

Why the death of DRM would be good news for readers, writers and publishers
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... -good-news

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri May 4th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Yes, this is definitely where the market is going. I read the comments on QuarkExpress and was glad I had chosen to buy InDesign instead. I already wasted a decade learning the Corel suite, only to have Adobe become the industry standard for graphics, and AutoCad and SolidWorks become the standard for computer-aided design.

Justin Swanton
Reader

Post by Justin Swanton » Wed May 9th, 2012, 5:38 am

[quote=""MLE""]Yes, this is definitely where the market is going. I read the comments on QuarkExpress and was glad I had chosen to buy InDesign instead. I already wasted a decade learning the Corel suite, only to have Adobe become the industry standard for graphics, and AutoCad and SolidWorks become the standard for computer-aided design.[/quote]

I've spent years getting familiar with Freehand only to see Adobe buy Macromedia out and freeze all future development on it. Fortunately I already know InDesign, however its design features are rather limited in comparison. One needs to use it with Illustrator. I'm busy mugging up on Illustrator at present - a very versatile programme and, like InDesign, it has a good quality screen display, which for me is a real plus.
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”