Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

It's "Read an eBook Week!"

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
fljustice
Bibliophile

It's "Read an eBook Week!"

Post by fljustice » Mon March 5th, 2012, 5:46 pm

For folks with ereaders or apps on your computer, this is "Read an eBook Week" and there are special promotions at lots of sites. (My book is half off at Smashwords.com through March 10.) I'm participating by downloading and reading books by friends on this and other forums. Currently reading Children of Tantalus by Victoria Grossack and liking it a lot!

So, whether it's my book or another, read an ebook and enjoy!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon March 5th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Thanks for the heads-up!

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Mon March 5th, 2012, 7:59 pm

I just found out.

The first ebook in my series, BLACK KNIGHTS OF THE HUDSON BOOK I: SHADOW OF THE FLAGS continues free on Smashwords and most eBook retail sites.

For any members of Historical Fiction Online, if you are interested in reading one or more of the sequels, PM me here and I'll be glad to generate a 30% off coupon for you at the Smashword site.
Last edited by bevgray on Mon March 5th, 2012, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue March 6th, 2012, 6:34 pm

This may have been mentioned before but I have not been paying attentionn lately, Amazon (in the UK at least) has a list of previously OOP books now available on Kindle. i located several Edith Sitwell's including Fanfare for Elizabeth which I haven't read since I was knee-high to ....

There are also some Jeremy Potter novels (previously mentioned in one thread or another here at some time) now available. I have not read these myself but intend to give at least one a try.

They are not freebies nor on special offer but still being sold for a fairly average price.

I don't have time to provide the links but assume that they are not needed anyway as everyone is well used to navigating dear old Amazon.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Wed March 7th, 2012, 12:30 pm

Hi SGM, I've been thrilled to find some favorite old authors available now on the Kindle. Nevil Shute and James Hilton to name two of them.
Beverly C. Gray

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed March 7th, 2012, 7:13 pm

[quote=""bevgray""]Hi SGM, I've been thrilled to find some favorite old authors available now on the Kindle. Nevil Shute and James Hilton to name two of them.[/quote]

Yes, hopefully with more and more on the way. That's why I found the list so useful -- I could actually go through it rather than just think up names to search and being disappointed at the result. Some names came up that it would not have occurred to me to search.

Strangely, I was talking to someone about Neville Shute only the other day -- particularly On the Beach
Last edited by SGM on Wed March 7th, 2012, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Wed March 7th, 2012, 7:47 pm

ON THE BEACH is his most famous work. I don't consider it his best, myself. Good but it is a bit doomsday and the characters aren't as vivid as some of his others.
Beverly C. Gray

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu March 8th, 2012, 6:54 pm

[quote=""bevgray""]ON THE BEACH is his most famous work. I don't consider it his best, myself. Good but it is a bit doomsday and the characters aren't as vivid as some of his others.[/quote]

It just happened to be the one we were talking about for some reason. There are several of his that I am really not fond of but they are a phase you had to go through during your teens in my day - over here, anyway.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu March 15th, 2012, 2:46 am

I'm reading SISTER QUEENS by Sophie Perinot on my Kindle Fire. I don't like reading on the thing, but my husband just had surgery and I have zero time for the bookstore. Loving the book!

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”