Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

HFO Lending Library?

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
The Czar
Reader

HFO Lending Library?

Post by The Czar » Wed February 8th, 2012, 6:44 pm

I know it is possible to loan books to others via the kindle. How does that work? Do you have to be in the same place, or does it work anywhere? Would it be possible for us here at HFO to lend each other books back and forth?

If so, that would be an amazing resource. We could all list what we have, and borrow from one another.

Just a thought...
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 8th, 2012, 7:40 pm

You have to lend your kindle loanable books though Amazon. There's at least two ways, go to the book page and at the top you'll see an option to loan this book and you click there. You'd need the person's email address. In theory the person you are loaning too should have your email address approved for his/her kindle, but I had a friend zap it to me, I got an email from Amazon telling me to come and pick up my loan. Downloaded it via USB as I don't have wifi at home.

The other way to loan is looking at your list of digital items on your Amazon account pages. There's a spot where you can hover and pick up a few things like remove from device and if your book is lendable you'll have that option as well.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed February 8th, 2012, 7:47 pm

I like the idea of using this forum as a way to lend books! Would it work though if a book is only available on kindle in the uk and I'm in the us?
Brenna

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Thu February 9th, 2012, 2:25 am

We really ought to set this up. I'm sure between us, we have to own pretty much every HF book availiable for kindle.

Just have those interested sign up, put a list (and keep it current) of what they have. Anyone interested can pm their email address to them.

Maybe we could get a seperate forum for this? Who is in charge around here, and how would one ask him/her?
Last edited by The Czar on Thu February 9th, 2012, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu February 9th, 2012, 9:31 am

First of all, be aware that not all Kindle books are lendable. The publisher has the option to disable it and I think all the major publishers have pulled out which means only some indie and self published books are available to lend.

Second, I don't think it works internationally - last I heard, it only worked for Kindle books from the US store and UK customers were able to borrow those books but not lend their own UK bought books. This might be outdated info though, not sure.

Thirdly, there are websites designed to help people find someone with the book they want to borrow - check out http://www.booklending.com

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”