Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kindle Fire - oh, the free stuff!

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun December 4th, 2011, 6:06 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]Thanks very much for the information, everyone. One more question: would you say that a backlit kindle puts out as much light as a laptop?[/quote]

Hmm. now there is an interesting question.

I will say our color nooks in the library look the same as a computer screen to me.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Mon December 5th, 2011, 1:26 pm

I'm doing really well with the backlit screen. It's a bonus for me in that I can read in the dark without needing to turn on the bright reading lamp I need for paperbacks. I probably won't read ever more than a couple hours in the dark though.

The Fire is a bit heavier than I expected it to be, but I haven't been slowed down by it so far.

I'm sure I will continue with a nearly 50/50 split between the e-reader and "dead tree readers".
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Mon December 5th, 2011, 2:28 pm

I don't think my kindle is as bright as a laptop. I know that I can navigate my darkened bedroom by the light of my ipad, but not with my kindle. I find that I prefer the kindle app on my ipad to read at night though. The screen is a bigger and I don't have so many inadvertent page turn hits. I keep the kindle charged and at the ready, though, for my mobile reading requirements--in the waiting room at the dentist, alone at a restaurant, etc.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue December 6th, 2011, 12:24 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]I'm doing really well with the backlit screen. It's a bonus for me in that I can read in the dark without needing to turn on the bright reading lamp I need for paperbacks. I probably won't read ever more than a couple hours in the dark though. [/quote]

This may sound weird but that's actually the only thing that bothers my eyes with backlit screens: using them in the dark. I find the contrast between the bright screen and complete darkness all around it really hard on my eyes. Whenever I'm on my computer or using my iPad or even just watching TV, I still have a light on in the room, even if it's dim.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue December 6th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Yep I've found that too; I remember as a child being told that watching TV in the dark puts a great strain on the eyes and it's true. I often wonder what sort of eye problems the current generation ie the ones who use computer/iPad/whatever screens a lot, will have a few years down the line, especially children whose eyes are still growing and developing.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue December 6th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Madeleine, I wonder about that too.

Leyland, glad the Kindle Fire is working for you. I love my Kindle, but mine is the regular Kindle with keyboard and Wifi. Before that, I had a Sony Pocket Reader, which I still use occasionally. I can read ePubs on it if I don't want to give Amazon all my business. I'm sensitive to backlit screens, especially after spending all day at work looking at a computer screen, so I can only read on a backlit screen for short spurts. I have an iPad, too, but I use it primarily for web use and other things (when I can get it from my kids who like to play games and Netflix on it).

I still read print books, but Kindle has taken over for the newer books that have been digitized. My husband recently upgraded his Blackberry to an iPhone 4 and got me an iPhone 3, so now I can access my Kindles on my phone as well. It's pretty much like having a miniature iPad. I can listen to audio books on it as well, and being smaller than the iPad it is much more convenient for plugging into the car to play my books or music during my commute. I also like being able to use the map app when I'm stuck in traffic (which happens a lot).

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed December 7th, 2011, 3:29 pm

I agree that having a light on while working/reading on a backlit device is a good plan. My eyes have been bugging me lately and I think it's because of that very reason. It is darker this time of year and so much less light enters the area where I write.

I guess I'll just wait and see if I end up receiving an ereader of some sort for Christmas. The convenience will be great regardless. Thanks for all the information, everyone!

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Mon January 2nd, 2012, 4:37 pm

Well, my lovely mother gave me a Fire for Christmas. I feel a bit like a traitor using the thing.

I do love the ability to immediately download books as it's difficult to get to the store what with work and kids and writing goals. Sadly, I do not reading on the device. It is heavy and slippery, and the light makes my eyes feel dry after a while. I think a cover of sorts will help with the holding issue so I'm going to try one soon.

When I first tried reading in bed (I am always on my side), the book kept flipping to landscape view. I soon discovered a locked setting which keeps that from happening. Just thought I'd throw that out there for any other Fire newbies like me.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon January 2nd, 2012, 5:09 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]Well, my lovely mother gave me a Fire for Christmas. I feel a bit like a traitor using the thing.

I do love the ability to immediately download books as it's difficult to get to the store what with work and kids and writing goals. Sadly, I do not reading on the device. It is heavy and slippery, and the light makes my eyes feel dry after a while. I think a cover of sorts will help with the holding issue so I'm going to try one soon.

When I first tried reading in bed (I am always on my side), the book kept flipping to landscape view. I soon discovered a locked setting which keeps that from happening. Just thought I'd throw that out there for any other Fire newbies like me.[/quote]

I had a Kindle and my son and daughter got me a Kindle Fire for Christmas. The Kindle Fire is a tablet computer, so it is back-lit. The regular Kindle is not back-lit so it is much easier on the eyes. I also think it is a bit lighter in weight. I am currently reading a book on the Kindle Fire to see what it's like, but I have not come to any conclusions about the reading yet. I do like the touch screen though.

I absolutely love my regular Kindle. It is easy on my eyes and I can read much faster - I know this from my Goodreads statistics.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

marshalslion

ebook price fixing

Post by marshalslion » Wed January 4th, 2012, 11:15 pm

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”