Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Just got a Kindle...

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu September 29th, 2011, 6:09 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]Unfortunately, the one available in the UK is NOT a touch screen. Read the info carefully, it doesn't say it has touch screen: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wi-Fi-6- ... d_i=468294

It's the "basic" Kindle which has neither a keyboard or a touch screen - any "typing" will be done with a pop-up on the screen where you have to scroll around with the 5 way controller and select each letter. It's a good option for people who want an inexpensive ereader and don't do a lot of typing (like making notes).

I'll be visiting family in the US over Christmas so I could get the Kindle Touch then - but I'm very disappointed and unhappy that it's not available in the UK.[/quote]

I am definitely considering the new Kindle. I need something larger to read my huge collection of PDFs away from the computer and my current one just won't do the job.

I actually don't really need a tablet although I was considering one of the HPs when they were going for just over £100 but there don't seem to be any left (what a surprise). I just want to get a bigger screen and to do away with that stupid keyboard.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Sun December 30th, 2012, 4:09 am

Well, this proves I have no luck with electronic devices. My 6 week old ereader died on the subway tonight with the message that I need to recharge the battery. Ok, I get home and try to do that (this is my first time recharging it) and nothing is happening! I spent 20 min. on the phone with customer service and we tried several things and nothing! I'm now leaving it plugged in overnight to see if it eventually recharges, but if that doesn't work, it'll have to be replaced! I may not have another one for my long flight overseas in 2 weeks. Crap!

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue August 19th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Well I didn't just get a Kindle, have had mine for a good three years but I still know the bare minimum of how it works. So here is my question, I have been loaning books from both the Amazon lending library and Overdrive and now the first 5 pages on my Kindle home page are "Loan Ended" books. Is there anyway to remove those from my kindle home page since I obviously don't have access to them and now they are just taking up space? Thanks!
Brenna

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue August 19th, 2014, 1:14 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Well I didn't just get a Kindle, have had mine for a good three years but I still know the bare minimum of how it works. So here is my question, I have been loaning books from both the Amazon lending library and Overdrive and now the first 5 pages on my Kindle home page are "Loan Ended" books. Is there anyway to remove those from my kindle home page since I obviously don't have access to them and now they are just taking up space? Thanks![/quote]

For the Kindle Library books, you have to go into your Amazon account > Manage Your Kindle, locate them in the list of books and delete from there (if US works the same as UK).

For Overdrive I'm not sure as I use Overdrive on my Kindle Fire, and it automatically deletes the expired ones when I open the app. But someone else will know I'm sure :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 19th, 2014, 4:37 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Well I didn't just get a Kindle, have had mine for a good three years but I still know the bare minimum of how it works. So here is my question, I have been loaning books from both the Amazon lending library and Overdrive and now the first 5 pages on my Kindle home page are "Loan Ended" books. Is there anyway to remove those from my kindle home page since I obviously don't have access to them and now they are just taking up space? Thanks![/quote]

When you say your Kindle page, do you mean via 'manage my content and devices' via the main Amazon page, or are you looking at kindle.amazon.com?

If on content and devices, I can see my loan ended books, and there's a box to check to delete the notice if I wish. I also get loan expired noticed in the carousel on my Fire. If I tap them, an option to delete the letter comes up.

If I go to my books via the kindle.amazon.com site (which I rarely use except to copy a highlighted passage) and go to my books, all I see is all my books starting alphabetically.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue August 19th, 2014, 5:58 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]When you say your Kindle page, do you mean via 'manage my content and devices' via the main Amazon page, or are you looking at kindle.amazon.com?

If on content and devices, I can see my loan ended books, and there's a box to check to delete the notice if I wish. I also get loan expired noticed in the carousel on my Fire. If I tap them, an option to delete the letter comes up.

If I go to my books via the kindle.amazon.com site (which I rarely use except to copy a highlighted passage) and go to my books, all I see is all my books starting alphabetically.[/quote]

I have the old school Kindle but hoping the same still applies:

I'm talking about when I hit the "Home" button on my actual Kindle and all of the books I have read, borrowed, or added show up. Even if I have already "returned" the borrowed book, it is still listed but instead of the title it says "Loan Ended" in brackets and then the title. I have about 3 pages of those books listed and want them to stop taking up space on my actual Kindle Home page.

Make better sense?
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 19th, 2014, 6:15 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]I have the old school Kindle but hoping the same still applies:

I'm talking about when I hit the "Home" button on my actual Kindle and all of the books I have read, borrowed, or added show up. Even if I have already "returned" the borrowed book, it is still listed but instead of the title it says "Loan Ended" in brackets and then the title. I have about 3 pages of those books listed and want them to stop taking up space on my actual Kindle Home page.

Make better sense?[/quote]

I gotcha. I still have my old school kindle around somewhere, but I'm at work. IIRC push the button in the bottom right corner to select the loan ended book you want. Or it might be highlight the book, then hit the right hand side cursor on the navigation button. You'll get a little page of options, move your cursor to delete the loan ended letter.

Try playing with that, my memory is poor and I'm about four hours until I get home and can look at the old model. I get the same letters on the Paperwhite, but that's a touch screen and I delete in the same manner as on the Fire.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue August 19th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Thanks Misfit, I will give it a try! It's amazing how difficult life is without a touch screen....
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 19th, 2014, 7:50 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Thanks Misfit, I will give it a try! It's amazing how difficult life is without a touch screen....[/quote]

Hah. Every time I pick up the old school model, I keep trying to tap the damn screen and nothing happens :p :) :o

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed August 20th, 2014, 2:35 pm

I went on my amazon online account and deleted the books from there but alas when I got home, they were still on my kindle so following Misfit's direction, I deleted them one by one from my kindle. Surprisingly, my kindle was much faster with all of those books deleted!
Brenna

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”