Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Just got a Kindle...

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon August 8th, 2011, 8:58 am

[quote=""Divia""]I havent seen any HF or YA stuff that I have wanted. Or that has dropped. And I'm not about to pay 5 bucks for a book that I dont want to read cause its 5 bucks. I have too little time for that.[/quote]

You must be really picky about what you read, LOL! There are literally hundreds of thousands of inexpensive ebooks out there and if you really can't find ANYthing that you're interested in reading, you must be very selective. :)

I have the opposite problem - with over 50 Kindle books/samples on my to-read list, there's too many books, too little time. Every time I start to make a dent in the list, I add more! Argh!

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon August 8th, 2011, 11:41 am

I don't seem to have any problems finding HF either. If you don't know it, the "History on Kindle" blog is a must to follow.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 8th, 2011, 12:41 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]You must be really picky about what you read, LOL! There are literally hundreds of thousands of inexpensive ebooks out there and if you really can't find ANYthing that you're interested in reading, you must be very selective. :)

I have the opposite problem - with over 50 Kindle books/samples on my to-read list, there's too many books, too little time. Every time I start to make a dent in the list, I add more! Argh![/quote]

Yeah, plus since they aren't physical books the growing pile doesn't stare you in the face like the *real* pile ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon August 8th, 2011, 2:12 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]You must be really picky about what you read, LOL! There are literally hundreds of thousands of inexpensive ebooks out there and if you really can't find ANYthing that you're interested in reading, you must be very selective. :)

I have the opposite problem - with over 50 Kindle books/samples on my to-read list, there's too many books, too little time. Every time I start to make a dent in the list, I add more! Argh![/quote]

Fist note that I have a Nook. The deals are not the same. If I want to get some self publshed book yeah there are a ton o them. But I dont want them. And I am picky. I dont read every HF book that is published. I dont have time for such things. I read what I like. And to be honest even the books that have been released recently havent been books I have wanted to read. I read nothing tudor, which does limit me. And I dont read male narratives because I find them dull.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Mon August 8th, 2011, 4:47 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Fist note that I have a Nook. The deals are not the same. If I want to get some self publshed book yeah there are a ton o them. But I dont want them. And I am picky. I dont read every HF book that is published. I dont have time for such things. I read what I like. And to be honest even the books that have been released recently havent been books I have wanted to read. I read nothing tudor, which does limit me. And I dont read male narratives because I find them dull.[/quote]

I have a similar, but yet in some way opposite, problem. I agree with you on the Tudor thing. Its been done to death, I'm sick of it.

But in the few "real" bookstores that exist, most of the "HF" seems to me to be thinly disguised romance. I don't have a problem with romance being in a book, but it needs to be the sideshow for me, not the main attraction.

The same seems to be true of most of what is on the lists for kindle. And thus far, I've bought a couple of things on kindle... but I really don't care for reading like that. Its like reading a paragraph at a time on flash cards. And there are rarely, if ever, maps included it seems, which I consider a nice thing in an HF novel. Flipping back to try to remember who some obscure character is is a pain. Maybe I'll get used to it, but so far, not loving it.

I like the whole "ebook" thing because I hope that, eventually, it will make more things easily available. But so far, it seems like all there is is the same crap I already decided I didn't want to read (or already have read) at the local "bookstore" (which is mainly a coffeehouse, stationary store, and kids games emporium, but that's another rant.)

Oh, and my library has e books you can check out for free... but guess which device is unsupported... that's right, my kindle. At least I got the thing for free.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon August 8th, 2011, 5:49 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Fist note that I have a Nook. The deals are not the same. If I want to get some self publshed book yeah there are a ton o them. But I dont want them. And I am picky. I dont read every HF book that is published. I dont have time for such things. I read what I like. And to be honest even the books that have been released recently havent been books I have wanted to read. I read nothing tudor, which does limit me. And I dont read male narratives because I find them dull.[/quote]

That's fair enough, no one could read every HF book that has been published, lol! I read what I like too - I won't even just grab up the historical freebies, I first see if it's something I might be interested in. But I guess I just have a wider interest in what types of HF I like. I don't read Tudor fiction any more either and also prefer female main characters but I do read on other royalty and I know you don't. I'm also willing to try new things - for example, I recently read two historical mysteries which I don't normally read but they were SO good, I snapped up several other inexpensive historical mysteries. It's not just the self published books which are inexpensive - many indie books are too.

The two mysteries, if anyone is interested, were "Still Life with Murder" by P.B. Ryan ($0.99 on Kindle) and "The Hanover Square Affair" by Ashley Gardner and Jennifer Ashley (also $0.99 on Kindle). The Kindle versions of both appear self published but the original paperbacks were published under Berkley (a Penguin imprint). So I don't think I'd consider them self published. They are both the first in a series too so I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

So what DO you like? Because if I come across anything in my browsing for my blog that sounds like you might like it and it's on Nook, I can let you know!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 8th, 2011, 8:06 pm

But I guess I just have a wider interest in what types of HF I like.

I'm bored to death with the Tudors and I've been picking up the freebies to try other periods and stretch a bit. I have at least one Civil War novel, two on Australia and I forget what else. All are books I'd not have come across otherwise. Now I just have to find time to read them...

There's a kindle/nook deals thread at Paperbackswap and it seems more times than not when something's free on kindle it's also free on Nook. If I post about a kindle freebie I'll mention it there and the gals who own nooks go and check their site and vice versa.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon August 8th, 2011, 8:16 pm

That's been my experience too, Misfit ... specials offered for Kindle are usually offered for other eReaders.. Occasionally you find exceptions to that. I do think YA books are probably harder to find as bargain/freebies, but that's not my genre so I am probably not paying as much attention to it (though I do read YA books now and then).

As others have pointed out, if you follow certain blogs or forums that publicize freebies and bargain books, you'll find quite a bit out there. For example, Cornwell's The Fort was offered for free for a limited period of time not too long ago. I keep an eye out for books like that and have plenty of TBR's on my Kindle just waiting for me after taking advantages of some of those time-limited specials. I also keep an eye out for authors who are publishing their backlist after rights have reverted back to them. A lot of them are offering their ebooks at bargain prices, such as $2.99.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon August 8th, 2011, 10:14 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]So what DO you like? Because if I come across anything in my browsing for my blog that sounds like you might like it and it's on Nook, I can let you know![/quote]

I'm not find of literature type books. I dont read Tudors, and I don't read mystery or romance. And like I said I dont like books with male pOV.

Hmm. What I do like
My name is Mary Sutter(loved it)
Heretic Queen

And I'm drawing a huge blank right now. :p
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

anne whitfield
Reader

Post by anne whitfield » Wed August 10th, 2011, 8:46 am

I don't know much about the Nook, but I adore my kindle.
I've found a heap of historical fiction to read. The sample option lets you try a book before buying which I think is a great addition. I've saved money that way by trying a book and not liking it, where I might have bought the book in a shop.
Some authors I've found are Deanna Raybourn and Gemini N. Sasson to name only two. I read their samples and enjoyed them and bought the books straight away.

I've seen in other forums about people whining about digital book prices. I don't see what the problem is money wise. The author has written a book and deserves to be paid for it no matter what format it is read in. Why should we only pay for paperbacks or hardbacks but not for digital books? I don't understand that reasoning.
I've paid $9 and I've paid .99 cents for digital books, just as I would for a paperback. If the book is good I'll buy it and read it.

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”