Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Just got a Kindle...

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
The Czar
Reader

Just got a Kindle...

Post by The Czar » Sat August 6th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Having trouble finding any HF for it. Any suggestions? (I'd be annoyed if I actually paid money for this thing).
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sat August 6th, 2011, 11:02 pm

What kind of HF interests you?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 6th, 2011, 11:50 pm

There's always the top 100 HF kindle bestsellers list for a start.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun August 7th, 2011, 7:44 am

Amazing how in some cases the hardcover is cheaper :0
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sun August 7th, 2011, 9:36 am

[quote=""emr""]Amazing how in some cases the hardcover is cheaper :0[/quote]

That's the problem with the agency pricing model - the publisher gets to set the ebook price while Amazon can set the hardcover price.

A great tool for browsing for Kindle books with a more advanced search to narrow things down: http://www.ereaderiq.com/search/
For example, here is all historical fiction for under $3, excluding public domain: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&node=15 ... irect=true

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Sun August 7th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Thanks! Those tools will help. So far, everything I've tried to find either doesn't exist for kindle, or costs more than the paper version, which, quite frankly, I'd rather have anyway.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 7th, 2011, 4:32 pm

[quote=""The Czar""]Thanks! Those tools will help. So far, everything I've tried to find either doesn't exist for kindle, or costs more than the paper version, which, quite frankly, I'd rather have anyway.[/quote]

Kindle or no, I'm still a library girl and won't pay for something I can get from them. I'd love to see more of the older OOP's on kindle (kudos to Sourcebooks for doing that), but otherwise I'm mostly picking up the freebies. Mythica's blog is a great one to follow for updates on price drops and freebies.

Many of the old classics are available free, if your tastes are inclined that way.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun August 7th, 2011, 5:47 pm

[quote=""emr""]Amazing how in some cases the hardcover is cheaper :0[/quote]

Yeah I bought my nook and frankly im finding it is cheaper to buy the book. I think my nook was a waste of money.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 7th, 2011, 6:58 pm

I've bought tons of books on the freebie deals, and they aren't all public domain books either. You just have to keep your eyes and ears open for the price drops.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon August 8th, 2011, 2:48 am

I havent seen any HF or YA stuff that I have wanted. Or that has dropped. And I'm not about to pay 5 bucks for a book that I dont want to read cause its 5 bucks. I have too little time for that.

I really shoul dhave listened to my gut and not bought mine. It was refurbished, but I coul dhave used the 80 bucks to pay bills.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”