Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon announces library lending for Kindle

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Amazon announces library lending for Kindle

Post by Misfit » Wed April 20th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Spotted a mention of this over at the Smart Bitches blog.
Last edited by Misfit on Wed April 20th, 2011, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed April 20th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Misfit, I'm a bit confused. I followed the link expecting to see something about Amazon and library lending, but it took me to a giveaway (http://muse-in-the-fog.blogspot.com/201 ... illig.html). Did you post the wrong link?
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 20th, 2011, 4:03 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Misfit, I'm a bit confused. I followed the link expecting to see something about Amazon and library lending, but it took me to a giveaway (http://muse-in-the-fog.blogspot.com/201 ... illig.html). Did you post the wrong link?[/quote]

Probably. Too busy cutting and pasting while I'm trying to work at the same time :o . I've got it fixed and here's the correct link again just in case.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed April 20th, 2011, 4:18 pm

Thanks! Interesting article. Not sure what to make of it yet...but then I have a Nook.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 20th, 2011, 4:21 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Thanks! Interesting article. Not sure what to make of it yet...but then I have a Nook.[/quote]

I have a kindle and as I understand the ebooks my library does have do not work on kindle so this is very cool for me.

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Thu April 21st, 2011, 6:57 am

Now I only wish there was somewhere to borrow a Kindle or any e-reader to try them out for awhile, just to see if we prefer them to reading actual books. To date, I've never touched an e-reader (or iPad, or iPhone, etc.) :p

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu April 21st, 2011, 8:23 am

[quote=""laktor""]Now I only wish there was somewhere to borrow a Kindle or any e-reader to try them out for awhile, just to see if we prefer them to reading actual books. To date, I've never touched an e-reader (or iPad, or iPhone, etc.) :p [/quote]

Kindle has a 30 day return policy so you can order it, try it out and if you don't like it, you can return it within 30 days. I'd wait for the library support to take off first though.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu April 21st, 2011, 2:35 pm

Amazon saw the writing on the wall and realized they didnt want to become like Beta so they had to change. I think its a great thing, and now I won't buy the Nook, like I was going to do later this week. I'll hold off and buy the Kindle because I like Amazon more.

Personally I'm glad they got their head outta there butt. This will be huge for them.

One reason a lot of people refused to buy the kindle was becaues you couldn't get free books from the public library. Now that has changed. Brilliant move on their part.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu April 21st, 2011, 3:21 pm

I thought it was inevitable that Amazon would jump on board with library lending--the question was always when (and still is). There will still be restrictions imposed by publishers, and libraries for the most part only carry the most popular, bestsellers in their ebook collections. There will probably be many books that you'll still need to check out the print version in order to read. I just hope my local library gets overdrive (they still don't offer ebooks). I got a card to an out-of-county library that does offer ebooks now, but lost my pin number and still haven't sorted that out. They offer no way to reset it online which irks me. Maybe I'll get that resolved by the time overdrive incorporates the kindle format.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 25th, 2014, 11:33 pm

I guess reviving this thread is as good as starting a new one. For those who access library ebooks via Overdrive, they do have a spot where you can search outside of your library's catalog and suggest purchases. Search for a book (pick something that isn't out yet). If you get no results, there's an option to click and search outside your library's Overdrive catalog. Find it, and click to suggest purchase, along with option to place hold if they do buy it. Voila! I got #1 position on the new Kearsley release, the Deanna Raybourn coming out in February, plus they purchased two copies of BB's The Woodvilles.

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”