Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book v. Nook

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu March 15th, 2012, 2:51 am

I never thought about how they make you turn the thing off during part of a flight. That will kill me. I get stressy during landing and like to read to take my mind off of that part.

I have to say though that I am enjoying the ease of buying new books. Point and click. It's dangerous. : )

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu March 15th, 2012, 4:25 am

They didn't make me turn off my kindle on any of the flights I've been on, just turn the wireless function off. I've flown Virgin, American, Southwest, Alaska, Delta, and KLM reading away.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu March 15th, 2012, 9:42 am

[quote=""MLE""]They didn't make me turn off my kindle on any of the flights I've been on, just turn the wireless function off. I've flown Virgin, American, Southwest, Alaska, Delta, and KLM reading away.[/quote]

Same here - though I've only been on one trip since I've had my Kindle: US Airways. But I did buy a magazine at the airport just in case.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu March 15th, 2012, 9:52 am

[quote=""MLE""]They didn't make me turn off my kindle on any of the flights I've been on, just turn the wireless function off. I've flown Virgin, American, Southwest, Alaska, Delta, and KLM reading away.[/quote]

Same here. I've been all prepared to be asked to turn it off during takeoff and landing but it's clearly not an issue. They thoroughly check everything else when they come through the cabin. I have never been asked to turn off the wireless function but I have never had it on because what's the point; it only drains the battery for no purpose when in the air. I'm not sure if other devices such as iPads have had to be turned off but they seem unbothered by the Kindle.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu March 15th, 2012, 4:25 pm

:o Looks like I was being overly cautious! No one asked me to turn it off. When the announcement came to "turn off all electrical devices" my literal mind kicked in. Next time, I'll give it a whirl.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu March 15th, 2012, 4:48 pm

As a courtesy, I turn my device off when they make that announcement. I find it hard to read with the distractions of restless, noisy, seat-shifting people on an airplane (and they inevitably are this way during take off and landing).

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”