Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon UK increasing Prime cost from £49 to £79

For discussion about particular book sellers (brick-and-mortar bookstores, online book sellers, auction sites, swap sites, etc.)
Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Amazon UK increasing Prime cost from £49 to £79

Post by Lisa » Fri February 21st, 2014, 12:31 pm

...That's a big increase, given they just stopped the Super Saver Delivery on everything under £10. It will now include streaming of videos from a "Prime library" on Kindle Fire and other devices, but that's not something that interests me. The Prime library is rubbish too, I think they're going to see a drop in customers after this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prime/pipel ... reannounce

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri February 21st, 2014, 2:07 pm

What I didn't like the other day was that I was trying to order something and it kept asking me to trial Prime. I couldn't get rid of it so I've ended up trialling it!! Must remember she my 4 weeks is up!

I think it may affect them as so many other sites have free p&p. There are the Book Depository and Waterstones for two.
Last edited by Vanessa on Fri February 21st, 2014, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri February 21st, 2014, 5:33 pm

It's already that price in the US. And no free shipping for anything less than $35 (and then they add tax).
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri February 21st, 2014, 8:18 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]It's already that price in the US. And no free shipping for anything less than $35 (and then they add tax).[/quote]

Yep. I've thought about it, and if I did want to download a bunch of movies and shows it would be worth it.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun February 23rd, 2014, 4:52 am

I don't have Prime and was never entitled to free shipping from Amazon, but even so, there has been such a huge increase in freight prices to NZ since about half way through last year that I don't use them at all now except for Kindle books. Thank goodness for BD, though who knows how long it will be before Amazon starts tinkering with them as well?

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Sun February 23rd, 2014, 7:48 am

The must leave the shipping of BD alone... or else.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Sun February 23rd, 2014, 11:02 pm

I have Prime in the US and I like it. I use the lending library and occasionally, I watch movies. I like being able to order what I need when I need it and not having to worry whether it qualifies for free shipping.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon February 24th, 2014, 3:38 am

[quote=""Nefret""]It's already that price in the US. And no free shipping for anything less than $35 (and then they add tax).[/quote]

I was so ticked off when they did this. I used to hit 25 bucks no problem. Hell, I'd even take 30 but its hard for me to get to 35 and I'm not ordering a bunch of books just to do it.

I dont have prime and I dont know if I ever will. Seems kinda pricey. I guess I would have to see how much I spend on shipping a year. Although I'm guessing prime doesnt include third party venders. And the majority of my books I buy are used.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Mon February 24th, 2014, 5:46 am

I had Prime under a one month free trial, but was only able to order a couple books. Ooops. :rolleyes:
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon February 24th, 2014, 11:26 am

Yeah I used the Prime one month free trial in the UK just before Christmas, when I was ordering lots of presents, and it did come in handy for that. But the rest of the year it wouldn't be worth it for me even at £49. I'm trying to cut down on actual hard copy books and just buy Kindle editions, and during the free trial I checked out the lending library and found that most of the books in there were self-published titles I'd already picked up for free at some point. Most only cost around £1-2 anyway, and you're only allowed one per month. So Overdrive beats that, hands down.

Return to “Book Sellers/Traders”