Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

manybooks.net

For discussion about particular book sellers (brick-and-mortar bookstores, online book sellers, auction sites, swap sites, etc.)
User avatar
Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader
Location: Prague, Bohemia

manybooks.net

Postby Kveto from Prague » Wed December 14th, 2011, 7:51 pm

i just wanted to make sure anybody with a kindle knows about this site. (I was introduced to it by a reader on this site way back when)

http://www.manybooks.net/

its really great. Ive already downloaded about 20 books and short stories. all sorts of famous works by famous and obscure authors of the past. all for free.

and if anybody knows of any other sites like this and would like to share, Id be much obliged.

G. Alvin Simons
Reader
Location: Florida

Here's Another

Postby G. Alvin Simons » Wed January 18th, 2012, 11:36 pm

http://www.gutenberg.org, but I like manybooks better. Manybooks has a brief description of most stuff & reader reviews. I spent a long time there downloading stuff from the "Pulps" genre. You can't buy this stuff anywhere!

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Thu January 19th, 2012, 12:09 am

"Kveto from Prague" wrote:i just wanted to make sure anybody with a kindle knows about this site. (I was introduced to it by a reader on this site way back when)

http://www.manybooks.net/

its really great. Ive already downloaded about 20 books and short stories. all sorts of famous works by famous and obscure authors of the past. all for free.

and if anybody knows of any other sites like this and would like to share, Id be much obliged.


Thanks for the tip Kveto. I will be buying a Kindle this Saturday and will try and download from that site if I can figure it out :p

Bec :)

User avatar
Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Postby Mythica » Thu January 19th, 2012, 11:10 am

http://www.archive.org is also a great source for old history books. Though the formatting isn't as good, I have found dozens of local history books and such to help me with my ancestry research from archive.org which couldn't be found on either Manybooks or Gutenberg.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Postby SGM » Thu January 19th, 2012, 6:14 pm

"Mythica" wrote:http://www.archive.org is also a great source for old history books. Though the formatting isn't as good, I have found dozens of local history books and such to help me with my ancestry research from archive.org which couldn't be found on either Manybooks or Gutenberg.


I use Archive all the time because you can actually find texts of diaries and documents that were written in the seventeenth century, if not before. So I can now fairly easily get hold of many primary sources.

And if anyone were to ask what I thought the real benefit of the Internet was for me -- that is it.

I have, given up on the Kindlised or epub'd books from it on the Kindle. It's the one real reason I bought the iPad so that I could read the PDFs from Archive on it as my eyesight is no longer capable of reading them the sze they come out on Kindle.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

User avatar
Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Postby Mythica » Thu January 19th, 2012, 8:31 pm

"SGM" wrote:I use Archive all the time because you can actually find texts of diaries and documents that were written in the seventeenth century, if not before. So I can now fairly easily get hold of many primary sources.

And if anyone were to ask what I thought the real benefit of the Internet was for me -- that is it.

I have, given up on the Kindlised or epub'd books from it on the Kindle. It's the one real reason I bought the iPad so that I could read the PDFs from Archive on it as my eyesight is no longer capable of reading them the sze they come out on Kindle.


Yeah, PDF's don't work well on the smaller screens of ereaders but you can get other OCR'ed versions of texts for Kindle from Archive. Of course, this is where the formatting issues I mentioned come into play... if you're using PDFs to avoid OCR issues, that makes sense. But I find I can deal with them well enough to use the Kindle/mobi version on my Kindle. I like being able to highlight stuff.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Postby SGM » Fri January 20th, 2012, 7:56 pm

"Mythica" wrote:Yeah, PDF's don't work well on the smaller screens of ereaders but you can get other OCR'ed versions of texts for Kindle from Archive. Of course, this is where the formatting issues I mentioned come into play... if you're using PDFs to avoid OCR issues, that makes sense. But I find I can deal with them well enough to use the Kindle/mobi version on my Kindle. I like being able to highlight stuff.


It would have been really good if the things I wanted to read worked on the Kindle, after all that is why I bought the Kindle. Very little of the really old stuff is available in cleaned up format at Amazon -- well, it is quite a job because the type is nothing like what was being used even in the 19th century and the footnotes (very important for me) just turn out really bizarre. But it is so convenient having such easy access to books that would be really difficult to find (and expensive) so easily.

I have a PDF-reader application that lets me mark up the text so that works for me and I use Dropbox so that the stuff I am currently reading is synched on my laptop and PCs so I don't have to faff around with USB-drives. All in all, I am now a happy bunny although it took me a while to sort out how to get it all to work to my satisfaction.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith


Return to “Book Sellers/Traders”