Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bookstore woes Downunder

For discussion about particular book sellers (brick-and-mortar bookstores, online book sellers, auction sites, swap sites, etc.)
Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Fri February 18th, 2011, 11:18 pm

It all just makes me sad. My favorite date is dinner and then the bookstore. I love the library, but it's just not the same. I blogged about my dream bookstore--Backlash Bookstore: For the Love of Books--today. It is silly but I wish, I wish...

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat February 19th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Lovely blog post, Alisha. I wanted to buy books there. I added your blog to my own blog roll. Also loved the theme. ;)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat February 19th, 2011, 4:40 pm

Just found out that Borders is closing its store on Union Square in San Francisco. :( :( :( I love that store! It's always busy, too, so I don't understand.... unless the rent is so exorbitant (probably) that it just can't make money.......

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sun February 20th, 2011, 5:12 am

Oh, Michy. It's just not right! I don't know if my Borders is on the list of closing yet or not...

Thanks, FLJustice, I read yours on the Egyptians and their issue with antiquity looting. My God, I never thought of that occurring in the midst of all their trouble. It's just a shame. Thank goodness the people are rising to protect their heritage. It must be heartbreaking. I will add you to my blogroll as well if I haven't already.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun February 20th, 2011, 3:47 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]I will add you to my blogroll as well if I haven't already.[/quote]

Thanks, Alisha!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun February 20th, 2011, 9:01 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]Oh, Michy. It's just not right! I don't know if my Borders is on the list of closing yet or not...
[/quote]
here's a list of the borders stores closing.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon February 21st, 2011, 2:42 am

It's a worldwide phenomenon. My beloved Powell's here in Portland, Oregon, USA just laid off 30 employees. These are layoffs, not a store closing, and Powell's does have an internet presence. Still, the cause is the decline in customers for bricks-and-mortar bookstores, and not only the rise of buying books online but also the dramatic rise of buying books in e-format, especially for the Kindle.

While I still do not have a Kindle, I do see its appeal. For me, the biggest appeal is not having to decimate forests in order to publish books. Although I hate reading anything longer than a few paragraphs online, I had the chance to look at someone's Kindle on a recent plane trip, and the format did seem to be exceptionally easy to read. All the same, I'm not ready to make the shift from print-and-paper reading to reading on an electronic device. Years ago, I made the shift from hand-writing my own work on paper with a pen to writing on a computer, and while I resisted the change at first, now that I have done it, I will never go back. I suspect I will feel the same way about e-reading devices. Not sure if I will get a Kindle or hold out for a different variety of reader (perhaps not yet developed).
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon February 21st, 2011, 4:57 pm

It's just depressing. They're closing both stores here in New Orleans. Sure, we have Barnes & Noble still along with a scattering of smaller bookshops, but I don't like B&N and those small bookshops are all in New Orleans and a pain to get to when you live in another town. Of course the Baton Rouge store gets to stay open, but that's an hour away.

While I did invest in an iPad last month for my birthday, I still enjoy the traditional print. My living arrangements limit the amount of space I have for books so I felt the iPad was a worth while investment. I have two categories for my reading. Books that I want to read and have to own and books that I want to read, but don't necessarily need to own. My iPad will be full of the latter type and when I have more room in the future I will buy the "real" books that I want to own.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 4:53 pm

[quote=""MLE""]here's a list of the borders stores closing.[/quote]

Just checked and they're closing three of the five stores in Manhattan; but not the one I most frequent at Columbus Circle.

Return to “Book Sellers/Traders”