Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Interesting Response to BookDepository Refund Issue

For discussion about particular book sellers (brick-and-mortar bookstores, online book sellers, auction sites, swap sites, etc.)
gyrehead
Reader

Interesting Response to BookDepository Refund Issue

Post by gyrehead » Thu March 11th, 2010, 1:00 am

Here's the problem. I had a couple outstanding orders items pending and the card I used (my personal internet shopping card with a debit pre-set limit for security) expired. The card was re-issued with the standard revised and expanded expiration date. After this card expired, I got the email that tells you the book has shipped on one item. Then I saw that another item ordered was showing as unavailable and had been well past the release date. As I saw the same book at a comparable price I figured I would cancel that item and go ahead and buy it through another vendor.

When I went, before canceling the item, I wanted to update my cc# info to reflect the new expiration. Did so and then went into order history to pull up the proper order. Doing so I noticed that the book that I had just gotten an email on being shipped now showed a "canceled and refunding" in the status instead of shipped. First I noted that in the past status of such was listed as Canceled and Refunded. So I went in and canceled the other book. Waited and got the email saying it was canceled and refunded. Went back and saw it had the same canceled and refunding next to it. So I sent a query and told them that I had updated my cc# for the refund on both books assuming that the second book in question was indeed canceled and not shipped.

This is the response I received:
Dear ....,

I’m afraid we can only issue refunds to the card details registered with the order. Could you please forward all previous e-mail correspondence regarding refunds which may have failed.

Kind Regards,

S_____

S____ K____

Customer Advisor

The Book Depository Ltd
Now there are a couple of things I'm scratching my head on. First is that it almost sounds like card expired, so no refund. Of any kind?! Second, if I had not contacted them when were they going to address the issue of not paying me? Especially as they seem to have the status right -- canceled and refunding. Not "refunded". So it is clear there is an issue. On their side. Yet it seems like they are playing a bit fast and loose with the idea of how canceled product and subsequent refund works, no?

Fourth, and maybe this is because I'm feeling a bit grim by the rest already, but the tone and 'request' to forward emails seems like a "prove you deserve your own money back" attitude I find a bit of a put off. I can go on site and pull up my account and see quite clearly there is a pending issue on two books according to their end. Why do I need to do more work already?

Or am I being totally unreasonable and a bit paranoid?

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Thu March 11th, 2010, 3:42 am

Gyrehead -- in a word, nope, you're not being unreasonable at all.

They should just refund the card. If the card is related to the same vendor (just with a difft expiry, etc.), the money will make its way back to your account. No jumping through of hoops required.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu March 11th, 2010, 3:52 am

If it's the same freaking card, then it shouldn't matter the expiration date! BD is BS!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Book Sellers/Traders”