Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon, Abe books or book depository

For discussion about particular book sellers (brick-and-mortar bookstores, online book sellers, auction sites, swap sites, etc.)
Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat October 23rd, 2010, 12:33 am

Annis, I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Sundell after you've finished. Your assessment is in line with mine so far!

I'm still happy enough with BD, given that 90% of my orders have gone through fine. The "Notify Me" button has been appearing more and more often, though, which means I can't get some books through them directly, even though I can order from them via ABEbooks (go figure). I just ordered EC's To Defy a King from them via ABE, for example. My most recent disappointment is the cancellation of The Lives She Left Behind, the sequel to James Long's Ferney. Publication seems to have been delayed - or postponed altogether, I'm not sure which, as it's not available through Amazon UK either. I so want to read this book, so it's very frustrating it's not out yet.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat October 23rd, 2010, 11:15 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]Annis, I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Sundell after you've finished. Your assessment is in line with mine so far!

I'm still happy enough with BD, given that 90% of my orders have gone through fine. The "Notify Me" button has been appearing more and more often, though, which means I can't get some books through them directly, even though I can order from them via ABEbooks (go figure). I just ordered EC's To Defy a King from them via ABE, for example. My most recent disappointment is the cancellation of The Lives She Left Behind, the sequel to James Long's Ferney. Publication seems to have been delayed - or postponed altogether, I'm not sure which, as it's not available through Amazon UK either. I so want to read this book, so it's very frustrating it's not out yet.[/quote]

yes there are some problems with this book in the UK, not sure what exactly but there does seem to be some sort of delay. :confused:
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

OOP books and Fulfillment by Amazon

Post by Misfit » Wed November 10th, 2010, 11:56 pm

I don't know if you've spotted it, but some used sellers are signing up so that purchases from them can make up your $25 minimum for Super Saver Shipping. I.e. instead of paying the obligatory $.01 plus $3.99 S&H, there's a set price (I've seen one as low as just under $3 to as high as $7 depending on how *rare* the used book is.

I had a $25 GC from Amazon and instead of getting one or two new from my WL (and I could get them from the lib anyway), I snatched up five OOP's that were offered with this option. Came from different sellers so in different packages, but what I did find cool was that thse came first class mail with tracking numbers as opposed to the usual media mail.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu November 11th, 2010, 11:03 pm

some used sellers are signing up so that purchases from them can make up your $25 minimum for Super Saver Shipping. I.e. instead of paying the obligatory $.01 plus $3.99 S&H, there's a set price (I've seen one as low as just under $3 to as high as $7 depending on how *rare* the used book is.
Good to know. Shipping prices are a dollar higher at Amazon than elsewhere, when they're charged, so it's great to have more books count toward the Super Saver Shipping deal.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun March 6th, 2011, 1:09 am

In direct response to the title of this thread, for me it is now Book Depository. I only discovered them this week, when I was searching for a somewhat hard-to-find item. They are the only ones who had it. Their prices are as good or better as Amazon's, plus they offer free shipping on EVERYTHING (no minimum order amount required as at Amazon). So..... Book Depository is now my new favorite online bookseller. :)

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Thu March 24th, 2011, 2:30 am

I discovered Book depository (often use the US site instead of the UK as it seem a bit cheaper) over a year ago thanks to Amanda here (thank you! :D )
I tend to use them very often and in fact are the only one I order from online - due to very good prices and free postage. Their customer service has also turned out to be very good. I don't use Amazon anymore as their postage are just too expensive when shipping to Australia.

Just the other day I discovered that Better world postage has changed to free postage worldwide so I ordered 6 books!

Another thing with the book depository having free postage is that I am now able to afford to buy new books.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Thu March 24th, 2011, 7:35 am

[quote=""Veronica""]I discovered Book depository (often use the US site instead of the UK as it seem a bit cheaper) over a year ago thanks to Amanda here (thank you! :D )
I tend to use them very often and in fact are the only one I order from online - due to very good prices and free postage. Their customer service has also turned out to be very good. I don't use Amazon anymore as their postage are just too expensive when shipping to Australia.

Just the other day I discovered that Better world postage has changed to free postage worldwide so I ordered 6 books!

Another thing with the book depository having free postage is that I am now able to afford to buy new books.[/quote]

Always glad to enable people (paticulary us Aussies who are ripped off in regards to local book prices)!

amazon.co.uk are also doing free shipping to australia until may if you spend over 25gbp. and the terms say they may look at extending it after that period.

wishes09
Scribbler

Post by wishes09 » Fri April 1st, 2011, 11:13 pm

[quote=""Michy""]In direct response to the title of this thread, for me it is now Book Depository. I only discovered them this week, when I was searching for a somewhat hard-to-find item. They are the only ones who had it. Their prices are as good or better as Amazon's, plus they offer free shipping on EVERYTHING (no minimum order amount required as at Amazon). So..... Book Depository is now my new favorite online bookseller. :) [/quote]
if interested, this is a 10% discount code:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/fb3104?a_aid=code
Then just enter the code FACE3104 in the basket when you begin to checkout.

also sometimes books can be cheaper on the .com website, so best to check both websites before ordering
http://www.bookdepository.com/fb3104?a_aid=code
Last edited by wishes09 on Fri April 1st, 2011, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kate139
Scribbler

Post by Kate139 » Thu May 5th, 2011, 4:24 pm

I find the "Advanced Search" search engine on abe the most useful, because it allows so many options, particular if you want specific editions, signed, etc, but that doesn't mean you have to buy from them. There are other options such as http://www.bookfinder.com which often has the same booksellers offering lower prices because abe fees are so large. I also find that most dealers will consider an offer for more valuable items if you email them or ring them

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon July 4th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Well the options are narrowing now that Amazon are going to buy The Book Depository.

Hope they keep their free shipping rates to Australia then.

Return to “Book Sellers/Traders”