Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon, Abe books or book depository

For discussion about particular book sellers (brick-and-mortar bookstores, online book sellers, auction sites, swap sites, etc.)
Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Amazon, Abe books or book depository

Post by Kveto from Prague » Fri January 15th, 2010, 9:39 pm

I wanted to start a thread that weighs the relative merits of each. Ive been doing a little comparative shopping. Im interested in the best price obviously but not at the price of aggravation. obviously my situation is a bit different from most, for example the free delivery for book depository looks great here in central europe where shipping usualy costs more than my purchase. however, enjoying obscure old books means the depository often send me to abe books anyway. Ive used amazon and abe both to my general satifaction. but if the prices look better i might try the book depository for a bit.

your opinions? (good and bad experience stories are welcome)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri January 15th, 2010, 10:12 pm

I've used Abe sellers a lot when I'm buying used books and never had a problem. If and when I do buy a new book I go through Amazon but then there's that super saver shipping in the US.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri January 15th, 2010, 10:44 pm

I go with amazon because they seem to have more choices and the quality of their books (used) seems better to me. For those ultra rare books I have used Abe but I'm an Amazon girl.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri January 15th, 2010, 11:27 pm

It depends on the book that I'm buying. As I've griped about often enough, in ordering books from the UK, I would prefer to buy from Book Depository because of its free shipping -- Amazon UK's shipping fees can easily double the cost of my order (and in some cases, exceed it!) On the other hand, I've had a lot of problems with cancelled orders. I've also been trying Aphrohead, and I've got to say that I'm impressed so far. No, I can't preorder and their range isn't as extensive, but I haven't had a single problem with a cancelled book and the delivery is much more rapid.

For domestic books that are new, it's Amazon. I'm a Prime member, so I get free 2-day shipping, and the discounts are the best around. I also have a Kindle, so that also means Amazon.

But: I will move to Abe books when I'm looking for something older or out of print. My experience is that Abe vendors tend to describe condition more completely and accurately than Amazon vendors (even when they are the same sellers!!) So, I just ordered an OOP biogrpahy from Abe. Meanwhile, I have a bunch of pre-orders in for books to be released later this year at Amazon. And I'm still searching for a good option for my books from England.
Last edited by Chatterbox on Fri January 15th, 2010, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri January 15th, 2010, 11:32 pm

I've had good luck with all three. Amazon is where I do most of my book shopping for both new and used, but I've often used Abebooks for used books I can't find elsewhere. I've been using Book Depository lately for new UK books ever since I found they take PayPal, since Amazon UK doesn't take my debit card. (The free shipping helps too!)
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri January 15th, 2010, 11:54 pm

I had never had any issues with BookDepository until recently when they didn't seem to like my credit card. Other than that, it's been all good.

I don't really use Amazon because of the shipping costs and haven't used Abebooks.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri January 15th, 2010, 11:54 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]IBut: I will move to Abe books when I'm looking for something older or out of print. My experience is that Abe vendors tend to describe condition more completely and accurately than Amazon vendors (even when they are the same sellers!!) So, I just ordered an OOP biogrpahy from Abe. Meanwhile, I have a bunch of pre-orders in for books to be released later this year at Amazon. And I'm still searching for a good option for my books from England.[/quote]

That is sooo true. I have noticed that as well. Thats why I buy a lot of my antique books from them.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sat January 16th, 2010, 1:29 am

I buy mostly from Amazon for the rarer stuff, but I also buy from bookdepository--though I had a sort of unpleasant experience with them recently.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat January 16th, 2010, 3:36 am

Hamilton Books or Book Depository for me mostly.

(And also bookstore websites.)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat January 16th, 2010, 3:50 am

If I can't find something at my local used, I go to Book Finders (which includes Abe, Albiris, Amazon and others in their search), or Book Depository for UK. I've never had any trouble with any of them; the sellers I use have been upfront about what they have. and when there's been an issue of quality, have always refunded my money.

I'm very hesitant to buy something rare online, however, I'll often use the sites to get an idea of price before I start my live search around town.

Return to “Book Sellers/Traders”