Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Book Depository

For discussion about particular book sellers (brick-and-mortar bookstores, online book sellers, auction sites, swap sites, etc.)
EC2
Bibliomaniac

The Book Depository

Post by EC2 » Tue January 12th, 2010, 8:25 pm

Now you can see what readers are buying at The Book Depository on this map.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/live
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue January 12th, 2010, 10:01 pm

This is hilarious. I just saw someone in Greece buy "Introduction to Naval Architecture." (perhaps a junior Onassis??) Someone in Michigan bought "Heat Wave" (wishful thinking?) And someone in Ireland bought "Middlemarch" (the last of the Anglo-Irish?)

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue January 12th, 2010, 10:17 pm

well thats interesting!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue January 12th, 2010, 10:45 pm

Wow, but my head is spinning. Just imagine if Amazon ever did that.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed January 13th, 2010, 11:34 am

Think they've had it for a while - but it is certainly fascinating isn't it? I've never seen any other online retailer do anything similar. Good for them.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed January 13th, 2010, 6:50 pm

My Pride & Prejudice fan group had a member map on our old site. Really cool to see people from places like Estonia love the book/movie as well.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Book Depository Help!

Post by Brenna » Thu September 26th, 2013, 3:37 pm

So I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if Book Depository just doesn't want to sell to me directly, but I have the worst time finding anything "currently available" when I have the US flag in the top right hand corner. I change that flag and miraculously the same book that was unavailable is available again. What is the deal?

My mom went on the SKP Richard III tour and brought back an extra suitcase full of books for me because I couldn't get them through amazon or book depository. Everyone on the trip, including SKP was telling my mom to not get the books but buy them through BD-well what happens when everytime I go to buy a book it says currently unavailable. I had the exact problem with EC's books and ended up getting them second hand through amazon even though other people including SKP could get them with no problem.

Can anyone help explain? I've reached out to BD and they send me links which of course end up not working or sending me to the book that still says currently unavailable even though they swear to me it is available. Confused yet??
Brenna

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Fri September 27th, 2013, 9:10 pm

This has been my experience too for about the past year. I have found, though, that the books I want often are available from BD thru AZN. It's a bit distasteful b/c it appears BD is trying to avoid its own free shipping policy.

Just change the darn policy...

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue October 1st, 2013, 12:17 pm

I'm finding a lot of unavailable books too. Most seem to be books that are scheduled for publication in the US a few months after UK publication.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed October 2nd, 2013, 8:07 pm

Ok so I am not the only one. Any ideas on where I can buy UK books before or if they are not released in the US?
Brenna

Return to “Book Sellers/Traders”