Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Swap Sites

For discussion about particular book sellers (brick-and-mortar bookstores, online book sellers, auction sites, swap sites, etc.)
Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 2:31 pm

Thanks, BB. I checked the Help info at the site. It provided this info (and you are correct, customized entry is suggested for this situation).
Publishers sometime choose to assign the same ISBN to multiple versions of a book. However, PBS can attach only ONE booktype to the listing for an ISBN. If your book does not have the booktype assigned to the ISBN in the PBS database, you will need to post it with a customized listing, using the Post a Book Without an ISBN link on the Post Books page, so that the booktype matches your book.

Solution: You will need to post this book with a customized listing for the book, using the Post Books without an ISBN link on the Post Books page.
It's most definitely not an ARC, but I am wondering whether the book was a book club edition. The copyright page says it was a Book-of-the-Month selection, but I don't know if that is just general information or if that means it's a book club edition. It's also NF History, and these texts often get updated in later editions which can make a difference to the requester as well.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 3:00 pm

Thanks for the mention of PBS -- I'll have to give it a try. Sounds like it could be another fun avenue for getting books, as well as finding new homes for those I don't want to keep.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 4:00 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Thanks for the mention of PBS -- I'll have to give it a try. Sounds like it could be another fun avenue for getting books, as well as finding new homes for those I don't want to keep.[/quote]

I like it, and mostly use it for penny PB's I don't want to waste library resources on ILL's. There is a historical fiction discussion board there (you might see a familiar name or two) and it's worthwhile spending time there. Oftentimes we'll list books we want to post there before running through the main FIFO system. I.e. I have a book that has a long waiting list if I posted through the main system, but if a friend there wanted it I would post it directly to her WL.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 6:48 pm

I just posted some books, and 12 of them have "wish list holds." I take it this means these 12 books are ones that people have indicated they want? I will be contacted via email if they actually choose them?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 7:25 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I just posted some books, and 12 of them have "wish list holds." I take it this means these 12 books are ones that people have indicated they want? I will be contacted via email if they actually choose them?[/quote]

I think so. People WL the books they want there and patiently wait their turn for one to become available. I get an email asking if I want it, and if so I respond and you'll get a request to send the book.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 8:03 pm

I have 4 books to mail already -- boy, that happened fast! Which method have you found to be better, purchasing the postage from PBS or using your own stamps?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 8:49 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I have 4 books to mail already -- boy, that happened fast! Which method have you found to be better, purchasing the postage from PBS or using your own stamps?[/quote]

Well, I use the postage meter at work and take it off of my mileage expenses. Otherwise I think I'd buy postage on line.

It also took me awhile to be smart enough to figure this out, but when I receive books from Amazon or other shipper I save those padded envelopes/Amazon boxes and reuse them instead of wasting wrapping paper.

If you're just wrapping them in paper, it's a good idea to wrap them in plastic (even an old grocery bag will do), to avoid moisture exposure.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 9:48 pm

Do you use the delivery confirmation feature? If not, are recipients pretty good about indicating when they've received a book, so you get your credit?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 10:41 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Do you use the delivery confirmation feature? If not, are recipients pretty good about indicating when they've received a book, so you get your credit?[/quote]

I don't and haven't had a lost book yet on my end. Two sent to me never showed up, but one of those two the sender sent to the wrong address.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 11:39 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'd rather not pay any extra fees to mail the books, if it's not necessary. I have 9 books to send already, and 6 more possibly! The good thing is, I'm getting rid of 9 books. The bad thing is, it's going to cost me about $20 up front before I even get any books myself out of it! :p

Return to “Book Sellers/Traders”