Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ever Heard of This Book?

Ever run into a book that sounds intriguing, but you can't find a description about it anywhere? Ask your fellow members--maybe they've heard of it!
Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat January 8th, 2011, 2:52 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I'll check with Karla over at goodreads who has a lot of Cali books on her shelf and see if she has any ideas. I'm always happy to find another :D [/quote]

Thanks! I'll be curious if she comes up with anything.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat January 8th, 2011, 5:07 am

The person who asked about the book got back to me, saying she'd done more looking around and thinks it's Brighter Than Gold by Cynthia Wright. I'd never have found it. Looks like a mass market romance from the cover (1990) although what's inside could be another story.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 8th, 2011, 12:49 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]The person who asked about the book got back to me, saying she'd done more looking around and thinks it's Brighter Than Gold by Cynthia Wright. I'd never have found it. Looks like a mass market romance from the cover (1990) although what's inside could be another story.[/quote]

You never know from those covers, but I found the jacket blurb at fictiondb.com.
UNCONTROLLABLE PASSION AND DARK VENGEANCE
EXPLODE IN A CALIFORNIA GOLD RUSH TOWN.

Feisty, independent Katie MacKenzie spends her days working at her father's saloon in the mining town of Columbia, writing for the local paper and dreaming of the Sierra's own heroic Robin Hood, known only as the Griffin. Though newcomer Jack Adams arouses her ire with his mocking words -- and her interest with his knowing eyes -- her heart belongs to the masked highwayman.

But her fantasy romance is shattered when her father is shot down by the Griffin. Disillusioned and enraged, she vows to bring her father's killer to justice -- even as she finds herself falling in love with Jack.

There is much that Katie doesn't know -- about her father's death, about the Griffin, and about Jack, who takes her to the limits of ecstasy, yet hides a secret that, once revealed, may destroy the fragile trust that Katie has so innocently placed in him....
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Gaslight
Scribbler

Post by Gaslight » Sat January 8th, 2011, 2:06 pm

I looked through all of my California labeled books but didn't see anything that fit.

Karla

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat January 8th, 2011, 2:34 pm

The blurb sounds nothing like the description I was given, so it may be only someone who's read it would've been able to figure it out.

Thanks for checking, Karla!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 8th, 2011, 3:23 pm

[quote=""Gaslight""]I looked through all of my California labeled books but didn't see anything that fit.

Karla[/quote]

Thanks Karla.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat January 8th, 2011, 5:58 pm

That description doesnt sound much like what you were looking for...
This one at least has some kids in it:
Something more
That site allows you to search books for different plot topics and era. Not 100% reliable but it gets some nice hits.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 8th, 2011, 6:26 pm

[quote=""emr""]That description doesnt sound much like what you were looking for...
This one at least has some kids in it:
Something more
That site allows you to search books for different plot topics and era. Not 100% reliable but it gets some nice hits.[/quote]

Erm, I recognize a couple of familiar names on those reviews.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat January 8th, 2011, 7:37 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Erm, I recognize a couple of familiar names on those reviews.[/quote]

Ah Your friend Harriet :D
I hadn't seen her. ;) Ubiquitous isnt she?
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 8th, 2011, 8:06 pm

[quote=""emr""]Ah Your friend Harriet :D
I hadn't seen her. ;) Ubiquitous isnt she?[/quote]

Yes, she does get around. Google her if you dare. Was kind of surprised to see Deborah MacGillivray there to. There is a whoooooooooooooooooooooole other can of worms ;) :)

Return to “What's This Book About?”