Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Charles Edward Stuart

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Charles Edward Stuart

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue May 3rd, 2016, 2:57 am

This is a song that the Jacobites put out mocking 'Geordie' (George I)
It's earlier than Bonnie Prince Charlie, but It's lively and fun. I had to look up all the references and chase them down, which kept me occupied for a bit. 'Sandy Don' and 'Cockolorum' and 'Bobbing John and his hieland quorum' were lots of fun. There is also much tongue-in-cheek references to George I's mistress, his wife's unfaithfulness and the possibility that his heir (George II) might not be his own. That's what they mean when they sing, "Down there came a blade linkin' like my lordie
He wad drive a trade at the loom o' Geordie -- Though the claith (cloth) were bad, etc.'

Anyway, here's the link to Steeleye Span singing 'Cam Ye O'er Frae France'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvnvoe- ... re=related

Cam ye o'er frae France? Cam ye down by Lunnon?
Saw ye Geordie Whelps and his bonny woman?
Were ye at the place ca'd the Kittle Housie?
Saw ye Geordie's grace riding on a goosie?

Geordie he's a man there is little doubt o't
He's done a' he can, wha can do without it?
Down there came a blade linkin' like my lordie
He wad drive a trade at the loom o' Geordie

Though the claith were bad, blythly may we niffer
Gin we get a wab, it makes little differ
We hae tint our plaid, bannet, belt and swordie
Ha's and mailins braid, but we hae a Geordie

Jocky's gane to France and Montgomery's lady
There they'll learn to dance, Madam, are ye ready?
They'll be back belyve belted, brisk and lordly
Brawly may they thrive to dance a jig wi' Geordie

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue May 3rd, 2016, 9:30 am

MLE, thanks for posting the link to the video and the lyrics. I look forward to reading the lyrics and watching the video later today when I come home from teaching. I like Steeleye Span!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed May 4th, 2016, 8:01 am

Anya Seton's Devil Water is set at the time of the 1st Jacobite rebellion (I think it starts before that period but ends with the rebellion. It is decades and decades since I read it so can't remember the details of the novel itself. I don't think it goes as far as the '45 and is more to do with the '15 rebellion of the Old Pretender (son of James VII and II, as he is styled by British historians). I think it may start with the abortive and extremely short-lived attempt at the accession of George I but cannot be sure.

There is a rather dreadful novel by Constance Gluyas - Born to be King which ends at Culloden.

There is also the D K Broster Jacobite Triology which I have never got round to reading but is sitting on table beside me as I write.

Look through the offerings by Walter Scott. I think Waverley is set during this period. Unfortunately, I read some Scott for A' Level and never again.

Bonnie Dundee by Sutcliff is set in Scotland at the time of William III's invasion.

Here is a link to mostly pretty awful stuff but you may find something of quality. Broster gets as mention as does Dunnett (but she is the wrong time period).

http://www.heartoscotland.com/Categorie ... iction.htm

There is also Highness in Hiding by Tranter. There may be others by him.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed May 4th, 2016, 8:41 am

http://www.librarything.com/subject/Jac ... +1745-1746

This link here throws up some other stuff. I have to admit this is rather too late a period for me and my knowledge beyond 1715 is sketchy until 1815.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue May 24th, 2016, 3:14 am

The problem with novels about Charles Edward Stuart is that, although the Jacobites romanticized him because they resented English control of Scotland and he seemed like a solution, the prince himself was not a particularly bright or dynamic personality.

Robin Paige's mystery Death at Glamis Castle is an interesting take on the Bonnie Prince Charlie story. It's set in Victorian times, in a castle the prince was said to have visited, and the story relates to the castle's past history. There's a review at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info.

Nineteenth-century novelist G.A. Henty wrote a novel called Bonnie Prince Charlie, which I haven't read, but I would guess it follows a more romantic line than most of the more recent novels about the prince.

There's a 2009 novel by Elisabeth McNeill titled The Heartbreaker about the prince and a poor shepherdess who helps him escape Scotland.

In 1901, Neil Munro published a novel about a Scot who renounces his support for the Jacobite rebellion after discovering what Prince Charles is like. It's titled The Shoes of Fortune.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”