Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

WWI family saga series recommendations

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
blueemerald
Reader

WWI family saga series recommendations

Post by blueemerald » Sun April 5th, 2015, 12:52 am

Hello all~

WWI HF family saga series is a genre I've enjoyed reading for years. So much so that my TBR line-up is empty! I'm looking for new titles and wondering if you all can help. Specifically I am looking for series versus stand-alones. Series wherein WW1 is a feature with an interwoven family saga story versus WW1 simply being a backdrop.

Here are the WW1 family saga series that I have read/enjoyed thus far:
"Passing Bells" trilogy - Phillip Rock
"Chronicles of Ancient Sunlight", volumes 5-8 - Henry Williamson
"Loss of Eden" trilogy - John Masters
"Knighthill Saga" trilogy - Emma Drummond
"Sheridan" trilogy - Elizabeth Darrell
"The Morland Dynasty", volumes 28-31 - Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
"Flower" trilogy - Sarah Harrison
"Soldier's Song" trilogy - Alan Monaghan
(OK, I'll throw these in-a couple stand-alones I have also read and enjoyed)
"Severed Branch" - Andrew Mowatt
"Supply of Heroes" - James Carroll

Are there more? Surely there must be! A tall order? I certainly hope not or I'll be one cranky bibliophile. :(
Any recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun April 5th, 2015, 4:20 pm

There is a family saga that extends INTO WWI -- the last book of Gwen Bristow's Plantation trilogy deals with the home front in the south, and what happened to the cotton markets. I think that one is This Side of Glory. IIRC, Bristow also wrote another standalone that featured a young husband 'lost' in WWI who showed up later after the heroine was remarried. Can't remember the name, as I read it near 40 years ago.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sun April 5th, 2015, 10:18 pm

One stand alone I can recommend is Bury them Among Kings by Elleston Trevor.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun April 5th, 2015, 11:29 pm

[quote=""MLE (Emily Cotton)""]There is a family saga that extends INTO WWI -- the last book of Gwen Bristow's Plantation trilogy deals with the home front in the south, and what happened to the cotton markets. I think that one is This Side of Glory. IIRC, Bristow also wrote another standalone that featured a young husband 'lost' in WWI who showed up later after the heroine was remarried. Can't remember the name, as I read it near 40 years ago.[/quote]

The Bristow trilogy is very good. I can't recall off the top of my head the title of the other book she wrote with the husband turning up alive, but I couldn't finish it. Bristow was pretty preachy about anti-war and I can't recall what else.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon April 6th, 2015, 1:51 am

Last edited by Amanda on Mon April 6th, 2015, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueemerald
Reader

Post by blueemerald » Mon April 6th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. Now all I want to do is read 24/7 (instead of 22/7 haha).

Amanda: I've read dozens and dozens of HF WWI books over the years. I'm not really adept at writing reviews or even summarizing why I enjoy a book, lest I would make more of a contribution along those lines. But I can say that I agree with your recommendation of "Covenant with Death" and "Bury Him Among Kings". They are both toppers on my WWI HF list.
The "Great War" saga looks interesting. I seem to only find it on Kindle, and I don't have a Kindle. (I am finding often when I locate an appealing book on Amazon, that it is offered only via Kindle. That frustrates me. But that is probably another thread, eh?)

MLE/Misfit: It looks like Gwen Bristow's "Plantation" trilogy is a romance crossover. Yes? Haven't read much of those. Will give this series a go.

Ben Davies
Currently reading: Blood cries Afar

Post by Ben Davies » Fri July 10th, 2015, 6:07 am

The Daughters of Mars By Thomas Keneally

ellisael
Scribbler
Currently reading: Vegetarian
Interest in HF: I am interested in the stories of colonisation rn
Favourite HF book: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Preferred HF: Mughal Era

Re: WWI family saga series recommendations

Post by ellisael » Thu October 8th, 2020, 8:06 am