Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ancient Near East

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Ancient Near East

Post by Nefret » Wed February 5th, 2014, 8:10 pm

We're covering this in my World History class, but not in as much detail as I would like. So I was looking for books to read at home. Mesopotamia (all of it) specifically, but also Asia Minor (Anatolia). I'm looking for non-fiction and fiction. Though preferably not Biblical fiction, but that's okay too.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Thu February 6th, 2014, 3:40 am

Hi Nesfret - I would highly recommend The Teaching Company's course Great Ancient Civilizations of Asia Minor by Professor Kenneth Harl. I have it on audio cds, but I think it may also be sold as a digital cd, if that's the term.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu February 6th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Second that. Kenneth Harl is one of my favorites of their professors. Informative AND entertaining.

You might like an OOP, The Sword is Forged, by Evangeline Walton. It features Hippolyta, the Amazon Queen who married Theseus of Athens. It isn't as mythological as the subject sounds -- Walton, like Mary Renault of the same vintage, liked to find the historical root of myths and set them in time and place.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat February 8th, 2014, 8:18 pm

I've enjoyed Sam Barone's Eskkar & Trella series set in ancient Mesopotamia around the period when traditional nomadic tribal culture is starting to clash with agrarian-based settlements. Also progresses to cover the rise of the great city-states Akkad and Sumer and the struggle for dominance between the two. Written in the historical adventure mould, but has a bit of substance.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Re: Ancient Near East

Post by Nefret » Tue June 30th, 2020, 12:16 am

Update- I have both Great Courses lectures about Mesopotamia, and the one about Asia Minor. So, thanks for getting me into those. :mrgreen:
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Re: Ancient Near East

Post by red805 » Tue June 30th, 2020, 1:18 am

Nefret wrote:
Tue June 30th, 2020, 12:16 am
Update- I have both Great Courses lectures about Mesopotamia, and the one about Asia Minor. So, thanks for getting me into those. :mrgreen:
Awesome! It's about time for a relisten for me.

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”