Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ancient Mediterranean

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sun August 25th, 2013, 9:55 pm

[quote=""annis""]Not in Renault's class, but still a reasonable read - Les Cole's Sea Kings trilogy set during end of the 18th century BC, during the Late Bronze Age, among the vast trading network of the Cretans and their associates in Egypt and the Mesopotamia. The main character is a young Minoan trader.

There is also another novel around based on the legend about Ariadne and Theseus called The Bulldancers of Knossos, by Pam & John Raggatt, but as it was only published in Australasia, it would probably be a hard find. I see an Amazon reviewer rubbished it, but I didn't think it that bad.[/quote]

The Bulldancers of Knossos doesn't sound like it's set in Minoan Crete, with its protagonist bearing what could be a modern Greek name AND surname. Is it set in the Bronze Age, or does the text just refer to the legend of Ariadne and Theseus? A shame there's no Look Inside feature.

That cover troubles me. Looks too similar to the cover I've been designing for my own book. Well, back to the drawing board.
Last edited by lauragill on Sun August 25th, 2013, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: na

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon August 26th, 2013, 2:26 am

Sorry, Laura, I was trying to send you the book blurb and bibliography, but had a blip and forgot the hateful habit this site has of automatically logging you out if you take more than a couple of minutes to type a reply, thereby wiping everything you've just written. Grrrr! I'll have another go when I'm feeling less peeved and will remember to write as a Word doc first next time :)

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”