Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

10th/ 11th century Scotland

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

10th/ 11th century Scotland

Post by Nefret » Fri July 26th, 2013, 7:01 am

I have read (and will re-read) a couple of Susan Fraser King novels set in this period.

Anything else in this time period I should add to the reading list?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Fri July 26th, 2013, 9:14 am

King Hereafter, by Dorothy Dunnett. I can't recommend it too highly. One of my favourites of all time. It covers the historical Macbeth (with an unusual theory about his identity) in the early 11th century.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri July 26th, 2013, 9:15 am

Nigel Tranter also wrote one about Queen Margaret (I assume Susan Fraser King's one is included in your list).

There's also Macbeth by Tranter, and King Hereafter by Dorothy Dunnett. I only know about those obvious ones though - there are surely more by Nigel Tranter at least covering that period.

Oh, one more, Far After Gold by Jen Black is a romance set in 10th century Scotland, and is cheap/sometimes free on Kindle. Good for a light read if you're in between heavier books.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Fri July 26th, 2013, 9:32 am

Other books I can think of by Nigel Tranter in roughly the same period are David the Prince, which follows on from Margaret the Queen so is very late 11th/early 12th C, High Kings and Vikings, which is late 10th or very early 11th C, and if you stretch a point a bit, Kenneth, which is about Kenneth MacAlpine (the king who united Scotland and Pictland) in the mid 9th C. I haven't read any of them so I don't know what they are like.

I reviewed Far After Gold in the reviews section.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri July 26th, 2013, 9:41 am

I haven't read it but Dorothy Dunnett's King Hereafter is supposed to be really good.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat July 27th, 2013, 12:05 am

If you can handle time-slips, Posie Graeme-Evans’ The Island House combines a modern setting with a story of Viking raids in 10th century Scotland.

More Vikings in Scotland with an earlier setting (late 8th century), is Maggie Davis’ The Winter Serpent . Davis generally wrote standard hist/romance, but pulled one out of the bag with this evocative tale.

NZ author T K Roxborough is writing a teenage trilogy set around the adventures of Banquo’s son, Fleance (from Shakespeare’s Macbeth). I’ve enjoyed the first two out - Banquo’s Son and Bloodlines, though these might be hard to find outside Australasia. Lisa Klein has taken a similar approach with her teenage novel Lady Macbeth's Daughter.

And I second (or is that third?) Dunnett’s King Hereafter – a most moving novel.

If you have an interest in Macbeth’s Scotland, I recommend Nick Aitchison’s non-fiction book, Macbeth: Man and Myth for a fascinating look at Macbeth’s life and times.
Last edited by annis on Sat July 27th, 2013, 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Sat July 27th, 2013, 5:35 pm

The Island House Viking parts are 9th century (historical story starts in 800AD) but it is a really good book, I would definitely recommend it.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun July 28th, 2013, 12:37 am

Haven't read it yet, LadyB (should have checked more carefully on the date :) , but it keeps passing through my hands at the library and looking interesting. Graeme-Evans is a good story-teller and I've enjoyed her other novels.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun August 4th, 2013, 5:50 am

[quote=""Mythica""]I haven't read it but Dorothy Dunnett's King Hereafter is supposed to be really good.[/quote]

The library has that, and it has been added to my list.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”