Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

William I (the Conqueror)...

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon June 10th, 2013, 11:22 pm

Not about the Conqueror, but A Memory of Lions is my absolute favorite piece of historical fiction, and the writing I aspire to. Centered on a minor nobleman building his new English holdings, it is set a few years post-Hastings, and is a great story of political oppression, the scars of war, passion, family, honor, hideous violence ... and change. The characters here, all of them, are gripping. Please don't let the cover fool you into thinking it's a Harlequin romance. This writing has blood pumping in its veins.

I kind of just a tiny bit adore the hell out of it.
Last edited by DianeL on Mon June 10th, 2013, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue June 11th, 2013, 12:37 am

Posted by DianeL
Not about the Conqueror, but A Memory of Lions is my absolute favorite piece of historical fiction, and the writing I aspire to.
I love Parke Godwin! Lord of Sunset, Memory of Lions, Sherwood/Robin and the King and Firelord are my faves. His take on Beowulf is also excellent - The Tower of Beowulf.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue June 11th, 2013, 12:39 am

^ I have three of those books.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue June 11th, 2013, 12:53 am

[quote=""DianeL""]Not about the Conqueror, but A Memory of Lions is my absolute favorite piece of historical fiction, and the writing I aspire to. Centered on a minor nobleman building his new English holdings, it is set a few years post-Hastings, and is a great story of political oppression, the scars of war, passion, family, honor, hideous violence ... and change. The characters here, all of them, are gripping. Please don't let the cover fool you into thinking it's a Harlequin romance. This writing has blood pumping in its veins.

I kind of just a tiny bit adore the hell out of it.[/quote]

I loved that book! And it's on my keeper shelf.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue June 11th, 2013, 1:05 am

Like I didn't love it here enough, now I dig *y'all* even more. Godwin is seriously my ultimate. (At the Amazon link, you might recognize one of those reviewers.) He was just incredible.

In his non historicals, has anyone read "Waiting for the Galactic Bus" and/or "The Snake Oil WARS" ... ?

Eep - thread drifting. Ignore me!

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue June 11th, 2013, 2:12 am

Now that you mention Godwin, his book on Harold (Lord of Sunset??), has parts of the narrative from William's POV IIRC. That one didn't rock my boat, but still worth checking out.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

catlvr14
Scribbler

Post by catlvr14 » Tue June 11th, 2013, 3:49 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Is that the Norman trilogy? Prequel to the Plantagenet series?[/quote]

Yes...Here are the books. Norman Trilogy (The Bastard King, The Lion of Justice, The Passionate Enemies) I got them from the library.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri June 21st, 2013, 6:11 pm

Since we were just talking about Parke Godwin, thought I would say rest in peace.

Chiliarch
Scribbler

Post by Chiliarch » Tue July 2nd, 2013, 7:59 am

I think Maureen Peter's Dragon and the Rose is about William
I have not been able to find any description of this novel. Does anyone know whether it really is about William?

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue July 2nd, 2013, 9:04 am

[quote=""Chiliarch""]I have not been able to find any description of this novel. Does anyone know whether it really is about William?[/quote]

I couldn't find one either, which is why I was unsure. The only suggestion that it's about him is someone on Goodreads tagged it as William the Conqueror and Matilda. If you're a member at GR, you could send the user a private message and ask.

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”