Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Æthelred the Unready

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Æthelred the Unready

Post by Nefret » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 9:17 am

I know he is a character in The Hollow Crown/ The Forever Queen. Are there more books about him?
Last edited by Nefret on Wed December 5th, 2012, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 12:24 pm

Not that I know of - at least, nothing that strongly features him. For example, I think Shieldwall by Justin Hill starts when Æthelred is dying, it's not really about him.

There is a self published book about Eadric Streona which will probably include Æthelred but I haven't read it so I can't say for sure, nor can I comment on the quality: Eadric the Grasper

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 12:37 pm

The very beginning of his reign until just after his marriage with Emma of Normandy is portrayed in Anya Seton's Avalon, but I think the historical accuracy of that one is debatable.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 4:49 pm

He is a reasonably significant character in the earlier part of Shieldwall, but the focus is on his son, Edmund "Ironside".

I haven't read Eadric the Grasper, but reviews indicate it's pretty awful -which is why I haven't bothered.
Last edited by annis on Mon December 3rd, 2012, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 6:33 pm

My friend Pat Bracewell is writing a trilogy based on Emma, in which Aethelred will figure strongly. The first book, Shadow on the Crown, published by Viking, is coming out February of 2013. I've heard parts of it in beta, and it's excellent. Hollick's story picks up after Aethelred is on the throne, but Pat deals with the very shady circumstances by which he got there.

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 7:08 pm

[quote=""MLE""]My friend Pat Bracewell is writing a trilogy based on Emma, in which Aethelred will figure strongly. The first book, Shadow on the Crown, published by Viking, is coming out February of 2013. I've heard parts of it in beta, and it's excellent. Hollick's story picks up after Aethelred is on the throne, but Pat deals with the very shady circumstances by which he got there.[/quote]

I forgot about that one, I wasn't thinking of new releases but it sounds even more interesting now! Looking forward to it.

PBracewell

Post by PBracewell » Wed December 5th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Hi All. I just want to clarify the time frame of 'Shadow on the Crown'. It covers the years 1002 to 1005, late in Aethelred's reign, although as MLE said it does go into events that brought him to the throne. I have forbidden myself to read Helen Hollick's 'The Forever Queen' until I'm finished writing my trilogy, but I imagine that because Shadow covers such a short time frame in comparison, it goes into more detail regarding the events in those few years. I'm so happy to be part of this group. Many thanks to MLE for inviting me!

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Wed December 5th, 2012, 9:54 pm

[quote=""PBracewell""]Hi All. I just want to clarify the time frame of 'Shadow on the Crown'. It covers the years 1002 to 1005, late in Aethelred's reign, although as MLE said it does go into events that brought him to the throne. I have forbidden myself to read Helen Hollick's 'The Forever Queen' until I'm finished writing my trilogy, but I imagine that because Shadow covers such a short time frame in comparison, it goes into more detail regarding the events in those few years. I'm so happy to be part of this group. Many thanks to MLE for inviting me![/quote]

Thanks for joining us! I was wondering, is Shadow on the Crown young adult? I noticed someone on Goodreads had labelled it young adult and I was confused because I hadn't seen any indication of that.

Also, can I have an ARC? :D Kidding!

PBracewell

Post by PBracewell » Wed December 5th, 2012, 11:26 pm

I'd send you an ARC if I had one! I only have one left in the house, and I need it! To answer your question, neither Viking nor I see it as a young adult novel, and I certainly wrote it for adult readers, meant to appeal to both women and men. :)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu December 6th, 2012, 2:04 am

Sounds like it'll be living on my bookshelf in the future.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for joining my topic. :D
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”