Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Books like...?

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Books like...?

Post by Rowan » Tue September 11th, 2012, 5:09 pm

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for Early Middle Ages stories set mainly in Britain, but I am open for other areas of the world. If you have an awesome recommendation for something during the period Rome occupied Britain, I'll take that too. :)

Thanks as always. You all are brilliant!!!

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue September 11th, 2012, 6:18 pm

What have you already read? Don't want to recommend something you've already read. :)

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Tue September 11th, 2012, 6:31 pm

• Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series
  • Helen Hollick's books about King Arthur
  • Harold the King and A Hollow Crown also by H. H.
  • SKP's Welsh trilogy and the trilogy about Henry and Eleanor
  • All of Jules Watson's books
  • M.C. Scott's Boudica series

That's all I can think of right now.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue September 11th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Here's some I've really liked - they are OOP but you might be able to get from library if you don't want to buy (or can't find) used ones:

Born of the Sun (7th century or so I think) and The Edge of Light (Alfred the Great) by Joan Wolf (she has a third one - Road to Avalon (Arthurian)- but I haven't read that one yet). Don't let the cheesy, romance covers fool you :)

Valerie Anand has a trilogy about the lead up to/the Norman Conquest - Gildenford, The Norman Pretender and The Disputed Crown

The Eagle and the RAven by Pauline Gedge (around the time of Boudica but book is not focused on her despite what the summary says).

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Tue September 11th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Thanks Tanzanite!! Yeah I don't necessarily want to buy them, but I definitely enjoy this time period more than any other.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue September 11th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Queen Hereafter by Susan Fraser King
Novel about St. Margaret of Scotland and her fictional harpist Eva

Jean Plaidy wrote a trilogy set during Norman period. They're out of print so you'll have go through the public library.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue September 11th, 2012, 7:41 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Here's some I've really liked - they are OOP but you might be able to get from library if you don't want to buy (or can't find) used ones:

Born of the Sun (7th century or so I think) and The Edge of Light (Alfred the Great) by Joan Wolf (she has a third one - Road to Avalon (Arthurian)- but I haven't read that one yet). Don't let the cheesy, romance covers fool you :)

I completely 100% agree! These were amazing books-and they are starting to release them on Kindle as well.

Valerie Anand has a trilogy about the lead up to/the Norman Conquest - Gildenford, The Norman Pretender and The Disputed Crown

The Eagle and the RAven by Pauline Gedge (around the time of Boudica but book is not focused on her despite what the summary says).[/quote]

My library doesn't have these anymore but they are on my list to watch out for.

Also, Carla Nayland had a book called the Pathes of Exile which I have but haven't read yet but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

There's also Anya Seton's Mistletoe and the Sword which I thought was actually much better than Rosemary Sutcliff's The Eagle series. I'll probably get pinged for saying so, but I really struggled and ended up glancing through that first book.

A few other books I really enjoyed include:
Mary Stewart Series on Arthur
Jack Whyte's Camulod Series
Nan Hawthorne An Involuntary King
Susan Fraser King-Queen Hereafter*
Susan Fraser King-Lady Macbeth

Happy reading!
Brenna

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Tue September 11th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Oh yes, I forgot about Paths of Exile. I have that too. I think I was the last to buy it before it went to a traditional publisher. :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 11th, 2012, 8:24 pm

I would second the recs on Born of the Sun and Edge of Light, as well as the Anand books. The Anand books are HTF without paying a premium, but check for interlibrary loan, I'm pretty sure the US libraries still have copies.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Wed September 12th, 2012, 7:35 am

[quote=""princess garnet""]Queen Hereafter by Susan Fraser King
Novel about St. Margaret of Scotland and her fictional harpist Eva
[/quote]

I didn't really enjoy that one, thought it was kind of dull.

Rowen, you seem to have already read the ones I was going to suggest!

But I will add that there is another novel on Emma of Normandy coming out early next year "Shadow on the Crown" by Patricia Bracewell. Since I haven't read it, I can't really recommend it but I am looking forward to it myself so I thought I'd mention it.

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”