Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Margaret Beaufort

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Brenna
Bibliophile

Margaret Beaufort

Post by Brenna » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 10:43 pm

Any good historical fiction novels regarding this lady? I downloaded a free sample of Elizabeth Norton's nonfiction book about her, but it seems a bit disjointed.
Brenna

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 11:28 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Any good historical fiction novels regarding this lady? I downloaded a free sample of Elizabeth Norton's nonfiction book about her, but it seems a bit disjointed.[/quote]

I hesitate to say that Philippa Gregory's The Red Queen is about her. I did like it better than The White Queen which was about Elizabeth Woodville.
Last edited by Susan on Thu March 22nd, 2012, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 1:04 am

Betty King wrote a series of novels about her, which I believe are out of print but are pretty easy to get used, or used to be in any case. I'd say they're better than The Red Queen, but they didn't make me jump up and down. There's one called Destiny's Child by Iris Gower which is pretty bad, I'm afraid, in terms of story-telling.

If you want nonfiction about her, the best book is Malcolm Underwood's and Michael Jones's biography.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 1:06 am

I found Betty King's novels The Lady Margaret and The King's Mother pretty pedestrian, and her one about Margaret of Anjou was positively boring - how she managed that given the subject I'm not sure!

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 1:30 am

Valerie Anand wrote a series called Bridges over Time. The Tudor period is chronicled in the third book, Women of Ashdon and Margaret Beaufort is one of the major players in the story. I have not read this, but have read and enjoyed several of her other HF books. You can find it used for under $4 on amazon.
Tish

"If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he rereads." Nobel Laureate Francois Mauriac

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 7:54 am

She's a reasonably major character in "An Unknown Welshman" by Jean Stubbs (1972), which is about Henry VII. It's pretty good.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 6:35 pm

She has some stage time in The Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes. Two others: The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory and To Hold the Crown (formerly titled Uneasy Lies the Head) by Jean Plaidy

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 10:57 am

I've always had a feeling that Margaret Beaufort would have been the mother-in-law from hell. (she seemed liked a difficult woman to please) I am sorry for being disrespectful but there you are.

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”