Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Romance Heiress and Mercenary forced to wed and go to crumbling castle and must fix it. MC has hard time open

Can't remember the name of the book and/or the author? Ask here--maybe we can help!
westly295

Historical Romance Heiress and Mercenary forced to wed and go to crumbling castle and must fix it. MC has hard time open

Post by westly295 » Mon June 27th, 2022, 3:47 pm

Ok so I read this book between 2016 and 2020. Her is what I remember about it:
- male lead is a warrior or mercenary
- has a sister who he brings to meet his wife
- marries woman and gains a rundown castle
- female lead lives a life of Luxuray and is forced to marry this guy by the king or something like that

The scenes that I remember is that in the beginning the hero and his sister show up at the heroines' childhood home for the wedding of the hero and the heroine. I cannot remember exactly how the arrangement happened it was either forced or arranged by the father, but the MCs had not met before. After they marry, they get to this castle on the dowry land only to find out it is in shambles and needs a lot of work. I have a very vivid scene where when the hero first meets the heroine, he is not very nice, and the heroine is trying to make the best of the situation. And it's important to mention that I think the hero does have a few men in his company that come to the castle as well. When they first get there, they find out it is destroyed and the women, heroine, lady's maid, and sister of hero all end up sharing a tent until they can make a hut or something the female lead has never done hard labor before but tries to help. Later she sees a mouse in the makeshift shelter and screams, husband comes in and rolls his eyes kind of attitude.

Sister of the male tells the female lead how growing up it was only the two of them, and they got into a bad situation (possibly living in a brothel for a little while) until the male lead got them out. I remember her talking about how he climbed out a window at a very young age with her in order to save her from being raped. Then spent his life as a mercenary in order to send money to his sister.

The hero has a hard time opening up to his new wife but eventually they fall in love.

Return to “Who Wrote It? What's the Title?”