Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

BOOK SEARCH SOS New bride moving west with her husband

Can't remember the name of the book and/or the author? Ask here--maybe we can help!
ringleader

BOOK SEARCH SOS New bride moving west with her husband

Post by ringleader » Mon May 2nd, 2016, 6:36 pm

Hi! I'm hoping maybe you possibly may have read a book printed in the early 1900s. I can't remember the author or the title, as I read it when I was just a young teen. I was so impressed with the story, I remember reading many times in a row. I've since lost the book, and I've spent many hours looking thru thousands of old blue-hardcover books, i'm guessing it was published by Grosset & Dunlap, but there are so many others who published books in the 1920-1940s with blue hard covers. The cover was a hardback and blue with a small covered wagon embossed in the corner or at the top (no dust cover on my copy). I've tried hard to try to find this one. I can’t remember the title or the author, but the story was about a girl who married the young man she’d admired from her childhood and then left the next day in his covered wagon for the plains and the southwest. The story was about their trip out, a robbery by Jesse James after they began traveling on their own, and settled in the plains/maybe near texas where they build a small soddy with one window, gathered cow dung for fire fuel, got water in buckets with their wagon a long distance a way, and had one rosebush by the door that got the dirty dishwater. At one point her new husband had to travel the long way back to their hometown, and she was afraid he wouldn’t return back again because he'd initially asked her childhood girlfriend to marry him first, but she didn't want to go west, so he married his childhood admirer. She wondered if he really loved her and was hoping he'd return. She was expecting their child, and he didn’t know yet. I guess it can be considered a romance, but it focused mostly on what life was like as a pioneer during those days. If you have this book on your list, please let me know. If you have counsel as to other places I can post my query, I'd be grateful.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Re: BOOK SEARCH SOS New bride moving west with her husband

Post by Misfit » Mon May 2nd, 2016, 11:57 pm

I am stumped, but you might try writing to Jenny Q at historical editorial. I don't know if she's still doing it, but she was refreshing some older books and getting them out on Kindle and might have an idea.

http://historicaleditorial.blogspot.com/
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Who Wrote It? What's the Title?”