Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Restoration-era novel (Charles 11) - help me find it?

Can't remember the name of the book and/or the author? Ask here--maybe we can help!
[email protected]

Restoration-era novel (Charles 11) - help me find it?

Post by [email protected] » Thu September 24th, 2015, 5:34 am

Hi, I am looking for a novel I read years ago and can't remember author or title!

Set in Restoration-era England (mainly Oxford), the novel is divided into 3 parts, each from a different POV. The first introduces a young scholar (I think physician?) who befriends an Italian traveller. The scholar also falls in love with a rebellious young woman; there are intimations that she could be the reincarnation of the Christ!! The 2nd part may be her POV, can't remember... The final part is from POV of the Italian who turns out to be a Catholic priest visiting England in order to accept the secret conversion of the king (I assume Charles 11).

Can anyone help??? I have the idea the author was female, possibly Elizabeth something, but I could be wrong on either count...
Thank you!
Jem

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Re: Restoration-era novel (Charles 11) - help me find it?

Post by Misfit » Sat September 26th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Hi Jem, I haven't a clue, but welcome aboard. Maybe someone else will recognize the book.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun September 27th, 2015, 12:47 am

~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 27th, 2015, 3:26 pm

There's also this list at Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/377 ... estoration
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sun September 27th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Thanks all for your suggestions, have looked through lists at great length and haven't found it yet - will keep trying!

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed September 30th, 2015, 1:40 pm

Sounds a bit like a book I have on my shelf at home: They Were Defeated by Rose Macauley. Might not be it though, I haven't actually read it yet.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu October 1st, 2015, 1:35 am

I had a look and that's not it, but it looks good!
Thanks anyway
Jem

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon October 5th, 2015, 9:33 am

[email protected] wrote:I had a look and that's not it, but it looks good!
Thanks anyway
Jem
No problem, hope you find it!

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Mon October 12th, 2015, 8:15 pm

[email protected] wrote:Hi, I am looking for a novel I read years ago and can't remember author or title!

Set in Restoration-era England (mainly Oxford), the novel is divided into 3 parts, each from a different POV. The first introduces a young scholar (I think physician?) who befriends an Italian traveller. The scholar also falls in love with a rebellious young woman; there are intimations that she could be the reincarnation of the Christ!! The 2nd part may be her POV, can't remember... The final part is from POV of the Italian who turns out to be a Catholic priest visiting England in order to accept the secret conversion of the king (I assume Charles 11).

Can anyone help??? I have the idea the author was female, possibly Elizabeth something, but I could be wrong on either count...
Thank you!
Jem
Hi, I haven't been around here for a while (can't believe how long it is!) :shock: and thought I'd have a browse.

This sounds quite familiar. Could it be The Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears? I started reading it years ago and didn't finish it, but that was set in Oxford, and involved Isaac Newton and Robert Hooke if I remember correctly. It may have been slightly later in time though than the Restoration, so I'm probably completely wrong.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue October 13th, 2015, 3:26 am

Thanks Alice - not the one I'm looking for but a good one too!
Jem

Return to “Who Wrote It? What's the Title?”